Poison Oak Warning For January

In our area, January is typically the coldest month of the year. We use a wood stove to heat the house and use the furnace only as back up. Interestingly enough, we came down with a nasty case of Poison Ivy/Poison Oak. The doctor said that January is actually the worst month for this because everyone handles wood to cut, stack or fill the stove. People don't realize that the oils in Poison Ivy and Oak are still very much present and highly contagious in the winter months as well. So, you may wish to wear gloves and wash your hands directly afterward. Be sure and keep your gloved hands away from your face also. You may save yourself a doctor's bill. Now, where did I put that Calamine lotion?

Ad


By Bobbi Parker from Mid-Missouri

Flag
January 17, 20070 found this helpful

My sister got a bad case of poison ivy from her Christmas tree once, as it had grown on the tree and they were not aware of this when buying it so be careful with wood you are bringing into a warm home. needless to say it is just artificail for them now.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 18, 20070 found this helpful

The best remedy for Poison Ivy or Poison Oak is available at many health food stores. It is Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak tablets. This is a homeopathic product...no drugs or chemicals, just natural organic ingredients. I have been using and recommending this product for 30 years, and have used it for myself and my family. When my son was a youngster, it was his chore to keep the woodbox behind the stove filled. He was allergic to Poison Ivy, and as stated here, you can be exposed by handling firewood. These pills not only will clear up a rash, but will actually prevent the rash. He would take a pill every day during the winter. My daughter is highly allergic to poison ivy, and she takes the pills daily when they are camping, starting several days before they go. They really work and are relatively inexpensive. About $5.00 for 50 tablets.

Harlean from Arkansas

Ad
ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Flag
January 25, 20070 found this helpful

AND, remember to RINSE with COOLER THAN BODY TEMPERATURE BEFORE SCRUBBING WITH LIQUID SOAP, so the pores will not open to absorb more poison oils! Use a paper towel to PAT dry, then apply liquid soap and let sit a few minutes before JUST RINSING AGAIN. THEN, sprinkle CORN STARCH over the area and PAT with a DRY PAPER TOWEL right on the affected areas. This helps to absorb more of the oils that might have accumulated there or were left behind on the skin.

Remember that the oils can be inside the clothing

or on a chairseat as well. Just think of it like you would body oils and do all you can FIRST to eliminate

the oils CAREFULLY without touching whatever MIGHT

have contacted the oils, INCLUDING the OUTSIDE of

your GLOVES and SHOES. Hope this helps you as much as it did us several times. Oh, also, if anyone is especially SENSITIVE to Poison oils, remember they can get into the AIR around the plant as well, even though I don't understand just how. So be especially careful if this is your case. God bless you. : )

Ad
ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 17, 20080 found this helpful

Beware of the smoke from burning ether poison oak or ivy. A friend was burning poison oak and and her daughter just walked through the smoke and came dow with a very bad case of an allergic reaction to them. The oils can appearently be carried in the smoke.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 17, 20080 found this helpful

If you have inside pets, dogs, cats, ect, when they go outside and come back in, be sure to wash your hands well. My dh got a case of poison ivy from our dogs. We live in the country, so they go outside and into the woods sometimes to run and play. We were at the dr.'s office and he showed this to her and she told him it looked like poison ivy and as we were talking about how he could have gotten it, she asked about pets and they decided that was how he had contacted the rash. We just lost our fox terrier three days ago, I thought the mail had already been by our house, since Max loved to run cars, this was what he looked forward to every day, was going outside after the mail came, so he could run and play for awhile.

About 5 minutes after he was outside, the mail came and Max ran the car, as usual. My ds came in a little later and said that Max was dead, he was so small, the mail person probably didn't know they had hit him.

Sorry to have gotten off the subject for a minute, but be sure to wash with soap and water the parts of your body that your pets touch after coming insde and bathe your pets often.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
Categories
Health & Beauty AdviceJanuary 17, 2008
Guides
Home Remedies for Poison Ivy
Home Remedies for Poison Ivy
Poison Oak leaves.
Getting Rid of Poison Oak
Oak Pedestal
Refinishing Oak Furniture
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
More
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
🍂
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 7:23:47 PM on 10.0.0.158 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!