Add Fruit to Extend Jam

When I find really cheap jars of jam, I buy at least 2. I open and start using alternatively so they are both about half or more empty at the same time. Then I take whatever fruit I have that's a bit spoiled. I cook the fruit in its own juice, or even in microwave for a few minutes, then put the fresh fruit in with the remaining jam so I have two new jars of jam.

I just keep doing this - and I have had some great combinations. Eventually it has to come to an end, but I use those last dregs on my morning cereal. Also of course I keep the jars. Then when I buy two jars of cheap jam I share them out amongst the old jars, fill with fruit and away we go again.

I do not really know how to cook jam, so this means I have jars of preserves without much trouble. Sometimes, I put oranges or mandarins with their peel sliced and call it marmalade. Sometimes, I put lemons in with pickles and spices like cumin and basil. I just got two jars of thick Rhubarb jams for less than one dollar. They were on the bottom shelf at the back.

By joanfry

May 30, 2011 Flag

Today I bought one stick of rhubarb. I chopped it and boiled it in a tiny drop of water, so it could make its own juices. I emptied the dregs of my jar of marmalade into the pan, cooked for a few minutes, then put it all back into the jam jar. It occurred to me that I could have put the fresh fruit straight into the jam jar and cooked it all in the microwave.

Also, if I buy a new jar of jam, I divide it into four jars, fill with freshly cooked fruit of the day, especially the last of something seasonal (i.e., last pear, grapes, or even bananas with apples). A bit like grown up baby food in jars.

By joanfry from Europe

Uses for Overripe Fruit
Uses for Overripe Fruit
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsFebruary 26, 2011
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Sour Jam
Fixing Sour Jam
🎉
🎄