Breads and Pasta in Compost

I am learning how to compost. I read about what should go in it and what should be kept out. But I didn't find anywhere about bread, pizzas, pasta, cookies? Can they go in a compost?

Asad from Jonesboro, AR

Compost just vegetables, or egg shells. Meats,

bread, pizzas, pasta, and cookies can not be composted. If you compost anything which isn't vegetable matter, it will draw rats and mice.

Grass and weeds can also be composted. If it was grown in the earth, it can go back to the earth.

You can also compost the contents of your hoover bag - they say you should have wool carpets but in truth the bulk is dust and dirt and very little of the actual carpet anyway - so I empty the hoover bag into my bin. You can also compost paper - I read that black and white print is OK but the coloured inks contain toxins - DON'T COMPOST MAGAZINE/SHINEY PAPERS THOUGH. You can also chuck in the ashes from a wood fire - BUT NOT FROM A COAL FIRE. If you have left-over pasta and bread - why not get a few pet Bantam hens, they are good for even small gardens and will eat kitchen waste, and give you fresh eggs in return. And hens are brilliant when it comes to eating all the slugs and weed seedlings if you want to clear a bed.

Kindest Regards - Borasic Lint

Why compost them? Throw them out for the birds. What a great treat for them and any little animal that may be in the area. Take the time to feed God's little creatures!

I always put bread and cake and cookie scraps out for the birds. They will be very grateful.

Rule of thumb for composting:

If "it"(the thing to be composted) had a face or any part of it "had a face" do NOT compost it.

Anything else that did not have a face can be composted.

Plain bread and pasta that was made without any oils or butter would compost. Cookies and pizza, which contain butter, oils and meats, definitely, No.

I agree with the others, feed it to birds or animals and avoid the "vermin" issue.

Good luck with your composting. It is a worthy thing to do.

Denise

Cheap Simple Easy www.abundantliving.jerkydirect.com

Just to stir the pot a little, I saw a while back on the show "Dirty Jobs" about how a worm farmer feeds pieces of loaf bread to the worms. Apparently they thrive on the simple carbohydrates- it gives them more energy to munch on all the vegetation. It was pretty neat- a farmer lifted up a piece of bread and sure enough, there was a wad of worms. I do agree that other critters would be attracted to the bread, though. Maybe it could be something you add in during the warmer months, making sure you bury it very well to discourage raccoons, possums, bears, etc... Or just feed it to the birds- but that could attract said critters as well...

Thats what my thoughts are and knowing that worms love carbs bread and pasta sort of stuff will be utilized effectively. I can take care of the vermins because I am composting in a bin.

But for now, I will just go with putting the bread for the birds

Home and Garden Gardening CompostingNovember 26, 2007
Using Compost In The Garden
Using Compost In The Garden
Making a Compost Bin
Making a Compost Bin
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
🎉
🎄