Keeping Pets Off Furniture

How do I keep cats off furniture? Is there a repellent that I can use?

By Jeffrey from Ridge, NY

Answers

This depends on the size of the dog, plus, you need to be at home, but it only takes two or three times. Our Bassett hound would not stay off furniture so we set mouse traps to go off when she jumped up on her favorite places. It took maybe four times and after this we put traps that were not set for about a month. She would look up to see if it was there, then 'cuss' and eventually gave up. She was never hurt but I wouldn't recommend as a resort for a small dog. Maybe you could find an old couch, put it in a corner and teach them to sleep on it. Ugly but...

November 18, 2010 Flag

We have three dogs and three cats (not declawed). They are all rescued animals. I am going insane because I have to keep my furniture covered because I either have the cats sleeping on them or scratching on them. And no matter what I try the dogs sleep on the couch. Any suggestions short of getting rid of the animals would be welcome. Thanks

By Riazmi from Berlin, CT

Answers:

Keeping Pets Off Furniture

Have you tried a water spray bottle? That should work for cats and dogs. A few sprays and they should run from the sight of the bottle. My dogs like to lay on the couch on blankets. If the blanket ends up on the floor, they lay on the blanket on the floor. So they want the blanket not the couch. Could you ween them to a blanket and then move that to a pet spot in the family area.

I have seen the dog whisperer on TV lead them off by the collar and then say "no" when they tried to get back up. Not sure you could manage that one with so many animals though.
(04/15/2009)

By TraceyI in Jacksonville, FL

Keeping Pets Off Furniture

Try giving them special things to lie on. Make them beds with old blankets or buy pet beds (look on eBay for good deals.) And you should try the water squirt bottle. It won't be easy with that many animals. Be prepared for a lot frustration. But if you are consistent, they will get the message.

(04/19/2009)

By PainterLee in FL

Keeping Pets Off Furniture

OK everyone thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have found something that works even when I am not home. The water spray works really well if you see them, but when you don't it's tough. However I am not sure how I heard about this, but I read somewhere that foil on the furniture keeps animals off so I pulled a few sheets over things and so far so good. I guess it annoys/scares them whatever and for however long it works I am game! Thanks again. (04/19/2009)

By riazmi

Keeping Pets Off Furniture

The aluminum foil trick works great. There is a product that I found that uses the same concept. Worked on both my dog and cat. www.petzoff.com (04/29/2009)

By h1alpha

Keeping Pets Off Furniture

I've used the spray bottle of water thing too, it works. Also the cats are never going to stop scratching things, but again the spray bottle will work for this too if you give them something they can scratch like cat houses or scratch boards. (04/29/2009)

By melmarr

Pets AdviceNovember 18, 2010
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Upholstered arm chair.
Cleaning Upholstered Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄
🍂