Setting the Dye When Making Tie-dye Clothing

By Rebecca 1 2

Does anyone know the best way to keep the dye set after doing home Tie-dye t-shirts? I've heard something about salt and something about vinegar. Any other ideas? If using salt or vinegar, how do I use them?

Thanks for input!
Rebecca from IA

Showing: Answers Sort

By maryjane 6 Flag

approx. 1/2 c. salt in cold water wash cycle.

this step can be repeated as an added safeguard if dark or vibrant colors are used.

here's another tip that i've used:

put white vinegar & water (50/50) in your steam iron

turn garment inside out and steam press thoroughly

place garment in dryer to finish

*be sure to run an extra cycle to ensure dye residue doesn't remain in your washer & ruin the next load

*try placing freshly dyed items in an old pillowcase in the dryer the first time

during regular wear, i find it helps prevent fading to launder darks & dyed garments inside out (in cold water)

lastly, depending on fabric type, there are some good commercial products available.

http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_dyechem.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barb 57 Flag

I dye wool and what I use is citric acid. You don't have to deal with the smell that way. Two teaspoons full to a 1/2 yd. of wool. The salt is used to pull the dye into the fibers...only a tablespoon to the wool bath. When I used white vinegar, I used about 1/2 cup to a 1/2 yd. of wool. With wool, it takes heat and acid (vinegar or citric acid) to set the color. So, in the pan of water that I bring to a simmer for 40 minutes, these ingred. go. You will have to worry about the srinkage though with simmering the shirts. I wonder what you used for dyes? Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By April 187 452 Flag

In home-ec (30 years ago and then some) we were taught to use salt and vinegar in a cold rinse cycle then lay flat to dry after dying. After than, always wash in cold.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Setting Clothing Dye
Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric
Crafts ClothingApril 24, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Setting Clothing Dye
Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric
young woman trying to button too tight jeans
Stretching Shrunken Cotton Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:35:24 PM on 10.0.0.50 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings