Setting the Dye When Making Tie-dye Clothing

Does anyone know the best way to keep the dye set after doing home Tie-dye t-shirts? I've heard something about salt and something about vinegar. Any other ideas? If using salt or vinegar, how do I use them?

Thanks for input!
Rebecca from IA

approx. 1/2 c. salt in cold water wash cycle.

this step can be repeated as an added safeguard if dark or vibrant colors are used.

here's another tip that i've used:

put white vinegar & water (50/50) in your steam iron

turn garment inside out and steam press thoroughly

place garment in dryer to finish

*be sure to run an extra cycle to ensure dye residue doesn't remain in your washer & ruin the next load

*try placing freshly dyed items in an old pillowcase in the dryer the first time

during regular wear, i find it helps prevent fading to launder darks & dyed garments inside out (in cold water)

lastly, depending on fabric type, there are some good commercial products available.

I dye wool and what I use is citric acid. You don't have to deal with the smell that way. Two teaspoons full to a 1/2 yd. of wool. The salt is used to pull the dye into the fibers...only a tablespoon to the wool bath. When I used white vinegar, I used about 1/2 cup to a 1/2 yd. of wool. With wool, it takes heat and acid (vinegar or citric acid) to set the color. So, in the pan of water that I bring to a simmer for 40 minutes, these ingred. go. You will have to worry about the srinkage though with simmering the shirts. I wonder what you used for dyes? Good luck.

In home-ec (30 years ago and then some) we were taught to use salt and vinegar in a cold rinse cycle then lay flat to dry after dying. After than, always wash in cold.

Setting Clothing Dye
Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric
Crafts ClothingApril 24, 2007
sharpie tie dyed tshirt
Making a Sharpie Tie Dyed T-Shirt
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Closeup of green and yellow tie dye paper.
Making Tie Dyed Paper