Setting the Dye When Making Tie-dye Clothing

Does anyone know the best way to keep the dye set after doing home Tie-dye t-shirts? I've heard something about salt and something about vinegar. Any other ideas? If using salt or vinegar, how do I use them?

Thanks for input!
Rebecca from IA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By maryjane 6 04/24/2007

approx. 1/2 c. salt in cold water wash cycle.
this step can be repeated as an added safeguard if dark or vibrant colors are used.

here's another tip that i've used:
put white vinegar & water (50/50) in your steam iron
turn garment inside out and steam press thoroughly
place garment in dryer to finish

*be sure to run an extra cycle to ensure dye residue doesn't remain in your washer & ruin the next load
*try placing freshly dyed items in an old pillowcase in the dryer the first time

during regular wear, i find it helps prevent fading to launder darks & dyed garments inside out (in cold water)

lastly, depending on fabric type, there are some good commercial products available.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Barb 04/25/2007

I dye wool and what I use is citric acid. You don't have to deal with the smell that way. Two teaspoons full to a 1/2 yd. of wool. The salt is used to pull the dye into the fibers...only a tablespoon to the wool bath. When I used white vinegar, I used about 1/2 cup to a 1/2 yd. of wool. With wool, it takes heat and acid (vinegar or citric acid) to set the color. So, in the pan of water that I bring to a simmer for 40 minutes, these ingred. go. You will have to worry about the srinkage though with simmering the shirts. I wonder what you used for dyes? Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By April 187 451 04/12/2008

In home-ec (30 years ago and then some) we were taught to use salt and vinegar in a cold rinse cycle then lay flat to dry after dying. After than, always wash in cold.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No