Harvesting Asparagus

I planted asparagus 3 years ago and it is ready to harvest. My question: do I harvest all the shoots or do I let some of them grow into full sized plants or do I harvest all the shoots for awhile and then let the following shoots grow into plants?

By Bob from Charlotte, NC

Answers

EllenB says:

Harvest every 3 days in the spring when spears are 6 to 8 inches tall and tips are firm and tight. Pick only for two weeks during the first season, extending the harvest a bit each year until reaching about 8 weeks. Consume spears immediately.

I have read that you do not want to cut the spears when they are slimmer than a pencil, as they need some foliage for next year's harvest.

Asparagus spears in basket against a dirt background
Harvesting Asparagus
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingApril 3, 2010
Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer
Selecting Good Asparagus
asparagus on wood cutting board
Canning Asparagus
asparagus on wood cutting board
Freezing Asparagus
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎄
🍂