Old Fashioned Beef Stew

Old Fashioned Beef Stew I

Here's the recipe from my 1974 Betty Crocker Book which is also falling apart. I love this book.

• 1/2 cup flour
  • Ad
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat (1 inch pieces)
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 6 cups hot water
  • 3 pared medium potatoes (1 inch cubes)
  • 1 medium turnip (1 inch cubes)
  • 4 carrots (1 inch slices)
  • 1 green pepper cut into strips
  • 1 cup celery (1 inch pieces)
  • 1 medium onion diced (1/2 cup)
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 bay leaf

Mix flour, 1 tsp salt and pepper. Coat meat with flour mix, melt shortening in skillet then brown meat.

Add water to meat and boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.

If you want stew thick, shake 1 cup water and 2-4 T flour in a jar, stir into stew and heat to coil stirring constantly. Serves 6.

Hope this is the one you are looking for.

Old Fashioned Beef Stew II

• 1 pound lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Ad
  • 12 ounces small potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix

Add meat, potatoes and carrots into slow cooker. In medium bowl, combine soup, 1/2 cup water and soup mix. Pour mixture over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours.

Makes 4 servings

By Connie from Cotter, AR

Thank you so much for sharing this crock pot recipe. My son harvested his first deer this year and I am sure this recipe will make a great venison stew.

I love this one too. My niece asked for the recipe and was hoping I could find it to email to her.

Thank You!

RoseMary, for years I've made this recipe but when my mom died a cpl yrs ago, I got her BC book, thinking it was the same as mine, but mine was in shreds from years of use, so, sadly, I tossed it. I have tried using my memory to make it but that fails me ofter now. So, Thank you, thank you, thank you! (The Italian Spaghetti Recipe is also out of this world, so I hope someone has posted that, too!(hint-hint)ha! Thanks again, Barb

Thank you for the recipe! I looked high and low for it.My cookbook also fell apart. One of my favorite recipes. You saved the day!

My Betty Crocker cookbook is from 1955 or before. I always start looking in it when I need to make something different/new or just for proper directions

Beef stew and dumplings
Beef Stew Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups StewOctober 29, 2007
Beef Stew
Canning Beef Stew
Oven Beef Stew With Vegetables
Oven Beef Stew Recipes
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
canning beef
Canning Beef