Caring for a Neglected Dog

I recently got a dog a Pug/Boston Terrier mix she is a sweet girl. She will be 2 on March 17. For the first part of her life, till 2 days ago when I got her she lived in a outdoor kennel with no human socializing. She is a very scared girl. She is not aggressive or anything. She ate right away and does take treats now, but still runs when we move or get too close.

Any advice how to help her trust us and not be so scared? I love her already. She is in heat, so I am not even sure if she is pregnant or not yet. I am taking her to vet, but any advice will help. Thanks.

By Liz from Stuart, FL

Best Answer

I listened to part of what Robyn Fed suggested and I think it's really good! Beyond that, just talk to your baby in quiet and positive tones and reward her with lots of petting and cuddling when she does start coming to you for attention on her own. It may take a month or six months but she will come around once she's used to you and knows she can trust you :-) God Bless you for bringing her in to your wonderful heart and home!

Best Answer

How wonderful you are giving her a chance at a new and normal life. Hopefully she will come around in time for you. Just being kind, loving and patient with her will do wonders. Good luck, and for the life of me I cannot figure out or understand why someone gets an animal if they are just going to neglect it or abuse it. It makes me sad and mad. God Bless you and your newest addition. Thanks for sharing.

Best Answer

You need to watch the "Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic Channel. What he does for shy dogs is he sits on the ground, does not have eye contact with the dog and let the dog come to you. Do not force the dog to come to you. You may have to do this several times but eventually the dog will learn to trust you.

Hi There! That is wonderful that you have this dog!

Bless you. Here is my favorite training technique for teaching dogs and socializing them. This would be a great bond maker for you and your dog and also a great way to introduce him to his new life:

These are a collection of free podcasts on dog training. I love them all but the best is the one called "Training with Markers." http://leerburg.com/dogtrainingpodcasts.htm

Lots of love to you both! Robyn

Talk in a conversational tone to her while she's in the room, or join her where she is but don't crowd her. Just keep at it and let her get used to you and your non-threatening voice. Pet her only if she wants and hald back if she gets nervous. It's not quick, but I hope it works for you. Love.

Neglected Dog
Caring for a Neglected Dog
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 3, 2010
Blind Dog
Caring for a Blind Dog
Deaf Dog
Caring for a Deaf Dog
mud mask on elbows
Caring for Elbows
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎄