Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Saving Money On Valentine's Day

There are ways to tell someone you love them without spending a lot of money. This is a guide about saving money on Valentine's day.

A heart made out of pennies on a white background.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

You don't have to break the bank to show your Valentine how special they are to you. This is a guide about Valentine's day on a shoestring budget.

February 11, 2009 Flag

For those of you who may not feel "artistic", please consider this unique Valentine's Day Gift: A Valentine's Day Letter.

Cut some 8x11 inch paper in half and fold into a booklet. Name it "I love you for..." On each subsequent page write one little memory, from your past that helps endear you to your loved one. You may add photos or memorabilia if you want. This even helps remind you of how blessed you are!

These types of Valentine's letters to parents are especially nice! Many times, they don't get the loving attention that they once gave us and don't realize how precious their love for us is in our memories.

I did this for my parents' anniversary and after they passed on, found it amongst their "saved possessions". I know it meant a lot to them (and even more to me once I found it again many years later.)

Treasure each other! :D

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great idea, and it can be adapted for anyone you love! Not just your significant other, but your kids, your parents or grandparents, your siblings, even special friends. I would love getting one myself.

January 23, 2009 Flag

Here are some tips for saving money on Valentine's Day.

Christmas Sales for Valentine's Day

I have noticed that a lot of "red" clothing items are marked down during after Christmas sales. However red is also for Valentine's Day too. Just today, I bought a beautiful red sequined sweater originally $49.95 for $9.99. Perfect for Valentine's Day. Happy Hunting.

By Monnat

Have a Special Time at Home

For a frugal Valentine gift to your honey, make a favorite meal that they enjoy. Then have their favorite movies ready (I get them at the library or rent them). Or any movie that is special to the both of you--like the movie you saw on your first date together.

By Diane from Paradise PA

Valentine's Breakfast

My husband likes a "traditional" breakfast; coffee, toast, bacon and eggs. For Valentine's, I use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut a heart out of slices of bread. I toast the shapes as usual and use the bread slices (buttered) to make fried eggs-in-the-hole. He always gets a kick out of it.

By Kerry

Heart Shaped Brownies

Instead of making brownies in a brownie pan make them in individual heart shaped pans and frost them with pink frosting. Happy Valentine's day to you all.

Joesgirl

Show Your Love By Baking

Make your favorite chocolate chip recipe, but instead of making them drop cookies, pat the dough into a baking sheet (about 1/2 - 3/4 inch high) and bake. Cool in the pan, and use heart-shaped cookie cutters for the cookies. If you want, decorate with frosting. Also, you can put them on lollipop sticks, or even better, bamboo skewers for long-stemmed chocolate chip cookies!

Also, chocolate lollipops are EASY! Just melt the chocolate (it doesn't have to be for dipping- good quality chips will do without having to add anything else, like wax or shortening) in a double boiler or defrost in the microwave. Make sure it does not scorch in the microwave. Lollipop molds & sticks are CHEAP, and molds don't have to be greased.

I put this recipe in heart shaped lollipop molds, and it turned out SO CUTE!

Peanut Butter Cups

Ingredients

Directions

Mix together first three ingredients, add powdered sugar. Mix until all sugar is incorporated. Form into small balls.

Melt some chocolate (chocolate chips are fine). Put some chocolate into the bottom of some small paper candy cups. Put a peanut butter ball in the cup and fill the cup with chocolate. Refrigerate until set.

By Marie

Snowy Valentine

Last year my husband gave me a huge valentine! He took a can of red spray paint and painted "I Love You" surrounded by a heart on the snow in our front yard. I loved it; nobody else on the block had a valentine greeting like it! The snow melted a few days later, and the paint did not damage the lawn.

By NanPeg

Valentine's Scavenger Hunt

One very lean year when I was a stay-at-home mom of 6 kids in grade school and younger, I took pink office paper and construction paper, and made 21 large hearts, and numbered and decorated each one, and underneath wrote a reason why I love my husband. I think the hearts got bigger as the number grew, and he was sent on a fun hunt throughout the house to find all the valentines. What a lovely evening that was. ;o)

By KLJohn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What I'll be doing this year is I get a box of silk rose petals (under $2.00) at a craft, #1.00, Walmart or Target store. They come in colors other than red too. For ambiance, light a beautiful candle and spread a dusting of petals on your bed. For a pretty theme, add a few petals on the dining room table for decoration with a home-cooked Valentine's meal. Petals add a little mystery...If you want them scented, spray lightly your favorite perfume to each petal before displaying them on your bed. Make a trail of petals up the stairs...perfect for romance! So, have fun this Valentine's Day! Even on a budget! :)

My husband called to invite me to a romantic dinner for Valentine's Day. He said "I'd like to take you to dinner, just the two of us. I've made reservations for 7pm at your favorite restaurant.

Photo of a bottle of wine and a rose.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Not too early to start saving on the Valentine date or dinner. Here are some tips I would like to share. You can prepare your own dinner by starting your shopping now and buying the meat and side dishes when you see them on sale.

If you buy candy in red and green wrappers (like Hershey's kisses) after Christmas on clearance; you can use the red for Valentine's and the green for St Pat's. Also, buy the chocolate and use if for baking for Valentine's Day, etc. By Kathy

One year we didn't have much money, and I wanted to do something my husband would remember, so I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of junk. Bear with me here, folks, it gets better!

Below are tips from our archive and new tips. We are adding more every day until Valentine's day so bookmark this page. You can post your ideas online send them to daily@thriftyfun.com Updated 2/14/2001

A red heart for Valentine's Day

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Our thoughts on Valentine's Day and it's real meaning. We love it, but what is it about. Happy V Day to all our readers!

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

Large Red Heart

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Men, Valentines is fast approaching, an often costly calendar date. Be creative, romantic, and frugal this Valentines. Keep the cliché It's the thought that counts in mind when planning this day.

For a romantic Valentine's Day with your significant other, I rented a room with a jacuzzi tub in it. We made 100 candles from old candles that we melted down into little dixie cups using the same wick...

After holiday sales are a great time to shop. After Valentine's Day sales will bring many opportunities to save. Its a good time to shop for anything red or white that you can use to decorate your home.

Right after Valentine's Day is a great time to buy candy for less. You can purchase and freeze chocolate for future baking projects and it's usually half price or less.

Planning to give a loved one jewelry for Valentine's day, seek out, say, a heart shaped necklace, pearls, or diamond earrings during the Christmas sales. They are usually cheaper and you have a wider selection to choose from.

February 9, 2011 Flag

After being married for 11 years, I am running out of creative ideas for Valentine's day. I'd love to hear some inexpensive unique ideas.

By Leigh from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was going to suggest the coupon book also. It was a big hit with my husband. Depending on how many coupons you include & how quickly he uses them, your gift could last quite awhile. One year the coupon book was made up of only coupons for "romance". I was surprised at how much "spice" it put into our marriage.

Another gift that keeps on giving is the "Treat of the Month" gift. Whether you make it a treat he can eat, or things like back rubs, he can look forward to getting a gift each month for a year. This year I'm doing a Treasure Hunt for my husband. On crinkled brown paper (like a paper bag} I wrote out the clues. I burned the edges of the paper to help make them look old. Each clue leads to another clue around the house. I'll bake his favorite dessert & surround it w/ foil-wrapped chocolate coins, & the last clue will lead to it. I think he'll like it. :oD

Have fun!

Wow, some good ideas there. Thanks so much!

Baskin and Robins ice cream shop has an ice cream that is usually only available the month of Feb. So I buy my husband a quart of ice cream. Oh, by the way the ice cream goes by the name, Love Potion #23. how appropriate, and it is YUMMO!

Holidays and Parties Valentine's Day AdviceFebruary 16, 2012
Wedding Favor Ideas for a Valentine's Day Wedding, White and red boxes for Valentine's Day wedding favors.
Valentine's Day Wedding Favor Ideas
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Valentine's Day on a Shoestring Budget
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 2:02:25 AM on 10.0.2.86 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.