House PlantsGardening

Caring for an Arbicola Plant (Peace Lily)

Category House Plants

When my husband passed in June I was sent a large arbicola plant (Peace Lily). The leaves have been falling off and the florist told me to put it in a bigger pot and give it miracle grow once a month. We did that and they are still falling off. My plant is getting really bare. What can I do I love the plant. Hope you can help.

Alice

Your peace lily needs lots of sunlight. It also needs to dry out between waterings, aided by a pot that provides good drainage. I have been know to wait until mine appear wilty before I water them again. It has not harmed them to get droopy, however they don't flower as frequently if I have let them do that a bunch!

I would say that getting them enough sun light and not over watering are the keys to keeping them healthy, overall they are pretty forgiving plants! I have had mine for years...I just love them! Hope that helps! :)

Laurel

I water my plant about once a month. I don't give it any fertilizer just some sun in the warm months. When it rains i put it out doors to get a good soaking and that cleans the dust of the leaves. I have put it in the shower and gave it a good watering and the plant loves that

To be honest my mother is a master gardener and I will never have the level of "green thumb" that she has. I do know this though: peace lilys will last. Mine have survived 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 kids! Truly you won't have to water them for two weeks at a time! I tend to keep them all over the house in varying states of sun exposure.

The best advice my mother gave me for them I now hand to you: leave them alone. Fill a plastic soda bottle with water and with a small hole punched in the lid of the cap push the top of the bottle into the soil near the center of the plant. Osmosis will "self water" your plant and you can have the peace and beauty of the plant in the manner in which it was given to you. Be blessed.

I have mine in the front window that faces east and it does well. I have to divide mine every year so I just dump it out of the pot and hack off some roots and outside growth and repot. I usually feed them a few times a year with Miracle grow or whatever I grab. They thrive well. Can't figure out what may be wrong with yours, they are not a picky plant.

Peace lillies do not like tap water stright out of the facet. Run it and let it set for 24 hours. Then water your plant. ABOUT 1/2 cup. They like water oftten but do not like to be water loges if you have them in dirt and like light but not dirrect light. Also, they are an air perifier.

P.S. No outside in the sun. M.B.Wright

I have mine in a pot without holes. Keep pot full of water.