Greek Browned Butter And Kasseri Pasta

contest winner icon

I've heard rave reviews about Greek Mizithra Browned Butter Pasta but I have no access here in Richland, WA for the Mizithra cheese so decided to try the Greek cheese, Kasseri, that I can get here instead. Yum! If you love garlic you can also saute a couple of teaspoons of minced garlic in the butter while it's browning. At least try it without the garlic the first time you make this recipe, because you may end up simply loving the cheese and the nutty flavor of the browned butter only more ;-) Serve with a balsamic vinaigrette dressed salad and slightly toasted baguette slices, drizzled with sauteed minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle with a bit more cheese.

• 1 lb. thin spaghetti
  • 1 cup butter, cut in slices
  • 1 cup Kasseri cheese, grated

Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Once the butter begins to boil continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is a caramel brown color and has a nutty aroma and then remove from heat. (Be sure to turn the heat down just a tad if needed so as not to burn the butter)

Drain pasta, add to butter saucepan and toss; then add about 2/3rds of the grated cheese, toss again and serve garnished with remaining cheese.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Is kasseri like feta?

Hi zbz :-) No, Kasseri is a semi-firm cheese. The firmness, but not the flavor, of Mozzarella. Feta is a soft brined cheese. Kasseri has a nice mild tangy flavor.

Oh man! I know what I'm making this afternoon! I'm salivating, no joke. :)

Well, I just finished eating this, thumbs up, way way up. Thank you, Deeli!

Oh Deeli, this sounds so good and far enough away from traditional holiday foods to clean our palates. Sounds rich, but totally wholesome and savory. Our son manages a Greek restaurant, but it's pretty much Americanized. They still have the best Spinach Pie (Spanakopita), Eggplant and Meat Casserole (Mussaka), and Greek Beef Stew (Stifado) that I've ever tasted anywhere, but this pasta dish is a new one on me. So are both cheeses mentioned. Since we are all cheese "rats", I'll definitely have to try this recipe.

Thank you so much for always making life and food interesting. Lol.

Browned Butter And Cheese Pasta
Greek Browned Butter And Cheese Pasta
Food and Recipes Recipes PastasDecember 28, 2010
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese