Letting Gray Hair Color Grow Out

My hair is gray and I color it medium blonde. I'm in the process of letting it grow out gray. How can I make it look better until it's grown out?

By Linda from Jackson, TN

Best Answer

Hi, Linda!

Try a temporary color. They last about 6 weeks and fade over time. You have to go a little darker and it covers your blonde and your gray. Continue coloring it every 4 weeks or so. Once the blonde has been cut off, you can let the darker, temporary color fade away to your beautiful, natural color!

Best Answer

My beautician suggested I go to a lighter color each time I DO color my hair. Non-permanent works best, until I get to the lightest I can go and the gray blends in. Not there yet!

My hairdresser recommended I use ROUX "Fanci-Full". to help my gray between touch-ups. The product is a leave in application that washes out when you shampoo. It comes in different shades. I got mine at a beauty supply store. Good luck.

I agree with the others on using the temporary rinses that wash out each time you wash your hair, and the semi-perm color in a shade as close to your natural color as you can find first and apply it. The transition will be less noticeable. The weekly rinses are a real mess in this old beauticians opinion, not to discourage you but I would suggest you go to a beauty shop and try a Fanci-Full weekly rinse first to see if want to invest in a bottle and what color to try. It could get expensive by the time you bought several bottles getting the right one and then not like using it.

I also have gray hair I color blonde and find if I use the champagne colors they blend pretty good with the gray and I can get by longer without touch ups. Good luck.

I was mostly grey having very little permanent color left on my ends. I used Roux; I could live with that but my hair had NO body whatsoever. So I went back to permanent color I got at Sallys. I now only have to wash and style it about every 3 days. Some on this site said they didn't want to color because they didn't want to be a slave to coloring. To me coloring is much less of a hassle and less time consuming than having to wash and style ever day using gobs of products just have some body. Once again I love my hair and I'm getting lots of compliments.

My natural color now is silver so I had it bleached blonde, as light as possible. That has helped with hair appearance; except I have damaged hair. I strongly condition my hair now ever two/ three days. Trying not to cut it all off. So I wear my hair in an updo a lot, which is better now that I have fly always. Lol. Good luck to you. I knew my hair would pay but I was determined no more color! My beautician can't believe my hair is in the good condition it is since we ent so light. Condition! Condition! Condition!

woman with long gray hair.
Letting Gray Hair Grow Out
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips WomenJanuary 16, 2010
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
🎄