DivorceLegal

Rights of a Parent with Sole Custody

Category Divorce

I have 2 boys ages 5 and 8, their father insists that they wrestle even though they hate it. I have sole custody and need to know if he can legally sign them up without my permission or signature. I have tried to offer alternative sports and he will not agree to them.

By Patricia T.

The best person to ask for an answer to your legal question is your attorney.

You are ultimately the responsible party for your children since the courts have given you custody. If the boys don't want to be in wrestling you have every right to take them out of it. Put them in a sport that they want to be a part of. Explain to the wrestling coach that they were signed up against their will, you are removing them and if the father forces them to go to wrestling practice request the coach NOT allow them to participate. Your husband may be put out but he will have to get used to it. YOU are the responsible parent over your children according to the law.

The fact that you are asking shows where the problem lies. Are you afraid of him? Are you allowing him to be around the children when the courts have taken them away? Get your kids and go home and if he has anything to say call 911 and let them deal with him.

Ditto foxrun! Talk to your attorney, and ask the boys what they would like to do. How about Cub Scouts - good program, good activities that teach real life skills, positive male role models (I'm a single mom, been there, done that).

By the by, you may have to have something written into your parenting/custody agreement that specifically prohibits physical-contact sports (wrestling, football, boxing, etc.) so the NCP can't try to get them into some other unacceptable sport. Good luck!

I read your question again and see where they hate it. Then by all means do not make them do it. If their father insists call child services and let them interfere. They will.

Grannygirl, you must not have read the question right! She wants to know if he can sign them up legally. She does have sole custody but that does not mean he can not see them. If she has sole custody by the court system that means she and only she can make major calls on the boys. For example at the hospital she is the only one who can sign papers.

I know this because I have been in daycare for over 21 years and I am taking Early Childhood at my College. I have seen a lot in my years with kids and parents. I just finished a class that covers all this. Pat I would let your lawyer know what is going on and let him advise you. Do this soon as possible!

Legally the father has no right to sign anything for the children. Granny and Foxrun (among others) are spot-on that Mum should contact her attorney and/or the authorities straightaway.

Also contact the organization administration and make sure they know Mum is not only the custodial parent but will follow up if the organization tries to permit the father to sign-off on anything. I would also check with the school in case Dad has been over there.