Battery Operated Pepper Grinder Does Not Work Properly

We recently purchased salt and pepper grinders, battery operated. We quickly found that the sea salt would not grind, as salt flakes were required. I purchased same and the salt grinder works fine now, but the black pepper grinder is another story. I used to grind the corns with a mortar and pestle. These days with arthritis crippling my hands, they tire very quickly.

Can anybody please tell me how we can break down the corns, ie., remove the outer husks so that we can use the pepper grinder too?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, these grinders were certainly not 'cheapies'. Unfortunately we threw the receipt away and can't go back to the store where we purchased them.

By Carolyn

Did they not even come with a bit of instruction about choice of pepper and salt to use? I would try pre-cracked pepper if you can find it.

A double plastic bag and a meat terderizing mallet might work. If you don't have a mallet a heavy bottomed saucepan could do the trick too. I double bag as a safety precaution!

I grind my pepper with an old Oster blender. I buy my pepper corns at Sam's Club or at a spice website. I use a clean jar and do about half a cup to a cup at a time. I can make the grind as fine or course as I want to. Other spices can be ground in it too.

I've had my Oster for 20-30 years. I bought extra blender jars on Ebay. Years ago you could also get little jars that were about a cup and the bottom of the big blender jar fit the little one too. I also bought new cutting blades and rubber rings on Ebay too.

I also grind my coffee every day in one blender jar that I only use for coffee, I've done that for more than 30 years. It does a fine job, and holds more than a regular electric coffee grinder.

I also dry left over bread in the oven and make bread crumbs in the blender. I scrunch up the hard dry bread into 6-8 pieces and blend them. Don't ever stick anything in a running blender. Be sure to stop it first. You could flavor the crumbs, but I'de wait till you are ready to use them. This method can also be used for cracker or graham crackers.

Since I have extra jars, if anything happened to my motor I would look for another used blender, but this one is at least 20 years old, and well worth it. Good Luck.

I was going to say the blender too, but thanks to wantie for the ebay tip as I need new blades & gaskets.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 17, 2011
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
A rusty meat grinder.
Removing Rust from a Meat Grinder
Purple and Black wrist watch
Replacing a Watch Battery
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine