Glass Ornament Balls - Categories:

OrnamentsChristmas

Glass Ornament Balls

A quick and easy Christmas tree ornament can be made by using clear glass ornament balls. Drop paint in through the hole and then turn it upside down and let sit overnight. The paint will spread out and coat the inside of the ball. Swirls of red and white or green and white make really pretty ornaments. Put the top back on the ball when dry. Add a ribbon on the top.

A five second search on Google found me a place that sells clear glass ornament balls: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/clearglasorb10.html A box of 9 balls is $4.89 If you search longer, you might find even better deals.

You can also cut different colors of foil, for example from chocolate bars into narrow strips and throw them into the balls. Trimmings of gift wrap can also be cut into tinsel and neatly stuffed into the balls.

I have done this many times, and it also looks wonderful to add different colors of glitter and shiny easter-basket style grass. Then write names, years or special messages on the outside with glass-paint pens.

By Cynthia Heitzler

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Most craft stores sell the clear glass ornaments in the fall. I have bought them at Michael's and Lewiscraft here in Canada.

Beware...the glass ornaments break very easily. They are made of a very thin glass.

When making them with the paint, I like to put either gold or silver and then one or two other colors with the gold and silver. Don't put too much paint in the ball and if you swirl too much the colors will run together to make a new color. BUT this is a beautiful, quick, cheap and easy craft to do with kids of almost all ages (and adults. too).

Can the glass ornaments be stuffed with a printed picture?

Yes you can put a photo in the glass balls. I printed a picture on clear plastic-like printer paper. I forget what its called but I bought it by the sheet at Office Depot. Than I cut the photo into a circle and wrapped it around a pencil. Insert the pencil into the ornament. It took some practice to get the size of the picture right. . Then I poured a little bit of white glitter in the ball and tied a bow on it. It wasnt hard to do.

Sandy/Pittsburgh

They also look really nice if you get some shinny garland and put inside the clear ornament and when the Christmas lights shine on them they sparkle when the kids do it I have them put there name and year on them.

You can also pop popcorn in the glass ornaments. Put in a little bit and take the top off and place in microwave. Pop and put top back on or add whatever you want to it.

Crafts Christmas OrnamentsDecember 14, 2004
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:34:33 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.