Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Peeing on Rugs

My dog keeps urinating on my rugs! He pees repeatedly on my 2 shag rugs which are 5 ft. X 8 ft. and these are not easy to clean since the yarn on the carpet is so long! I tried hanging them outside and spraying them down with the hose. Nothing seems to deter him! Please help how can I clean my shag rug and help potty train at the same time.

Jennifer from Slatington, PA

By

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By shona11/30/2008

I take my 2 little dogs out before bed time, and always tell them to go wees, it works all the time, so matter where we are I just tell them ;go wees. Now I don't have any more problems with them.

By Babette [33]06/26/2007

Made from nature's safest and most effective X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER
CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY
www.calvetsupply.com
1800-366-3047

I have cats but I'm down to only 2, I found X-0 about 25 years ago it works, it is a bit pricey but it will last a long time, the directions on the bottle says to mix it 50/50 with water but I put 1 oz per cup of water and This works just fine.
I had a friend borrowed my spray bottle because someone threw a dead cat in the church dumpster in the summer, she sprayed the dumpster, it totally eliminated the odor, the dumpster wasn't picked up for 4 days after she did not have to spray again. Both my mail and female have a tendency to spray, if I catch them at it I can spray immediately
(Because I know where they sprayed) there is no odor.
Since Im not always sure where they sprayed I mist everything from my knees down every now and then and I have no smell, I even spray outside.
ingredients: extracts of herbs, fruits and cereal grains in pure deionized water.

X-O neutralizes all odors on hard and soft surfaces. Effective on ALL odors. Safe for skin contact, avoid the eyes.

Totally non-toxic and bio degradable, this concentrate works directly on areas for odor neutralization, or even on the air in a room. Can be used indoors or outdoors. Can be used directly on the animals, if necessary.

By Nan Corpe [6]06/26/2007

Can you wash these rugs? If so, add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water. It usually helps to eliminate the odor of the urine. Once an animal urinates somewhere they will go back to the odor to do it again.
If you can figure out when your dog goes to the bathroom, take him outside to the area that you want him to use as his bathroom. Do this until he starts going there on his own. This doesn't usually take too long once the urine smell is established in that one area.
This is how I have always potty trained my dogs and it always worked for me. You just have to watch closely to figure their potty times at first. It's wise to feed them at the same time each day to get them on a schedule. Good luck!

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By dotkush04/15/2013

Both my dogs are house broken. When there are not any accent or area rugs around, there's never an accident, but put down a rug turn around and they pee. I am so frustrated I have a large open floor plan with laminate floors and without a few area rugs the floors stay so cold. Is there a product you can spray on the carpets to make it undesirable to the dogs?

By grandma J (Guest Post)05/22/2008

First of all, male dogs not neutered always mark their territory. If you get both male/female dogs altered before their hormones come to age, it is so great! They don't develop some of these bad habits. If your dog is having accidents due to bladder infections, check with the vet for a urine sample test.

When you discover the spot, take a hand towel and press into the run to sop up as much as possible. Then pour some white vinegar on to it. Then pour a cup of water onto that, sop it up. If you have your own carpet shampooer, do a rinse of the area with vinegar water (1 cup to 1 gal) in the tank.

We are at the stage of elderly dog accidents occasionally. I do not leave a full dish of water after 7 pm. She must go out at least 3 times after that. I give her 1/2 cup of water at a time after that. Oh, I set something on the toilet seat--trash basket, etc cause if she wants water, she found she could lift the toilet seat and drink. NO NO! Not healthy.

For a new puppy, if you are gone during the day, a carry kennel is fine for a few weeks till they learn. They will not pee in their "home". I always carried the kennel to the door, opened it, leashed the pup, walked her to her spot and she would go. Even now, she knows she had to find the spot out in the yard.

Watch your dog pee. If she/he just pees small amounts, does it look concentrated, then make sure more water is given during the time you are there. Take the dog out about every 15 minutes to establish the routine. Dogs will pee when they go out. Behavioral instinct. Like potty training the 2 year old. Routine for both.

By Shera [4]07/13/2007

It only takes 2 weeks or less to potty train a dog. But keep in mind that these 2 weeks require a lot of dilegence from you.

Watch him, watch him, watch him, when he shows signs of wanting to go potty, take him outside. You havent said if he is a puppy or not, in which case they have to go more often than an adult.

Regulate when he eats and take him out right after. When he goes outside give him TONS of praise and lovings. So that he knows which pee spot brings the greatest reward. Hugs and kisses, the whole deal. So there is no doubtin his mind.

You could use a spray on enzymatic cleaner right before you start so there is no pee smell in the house. If you cant really be there all day, you can give him a great start by being with him all weekend when you begin.

And if you have to be gone all day and arent confident that he has figured out the deal, confine him to a room that doesnt have carpet, kitchen maybe as bathrooms are too small. Put his bed there and some clothes or blankets that smell like you. And dontmake a fuss if he has had an accident.

Just reward good behavior....big time.

By Mary Ann. (Guest Post)06/26/2007

Good luck every time I put a NEW rug down my dog pee's on it. Sometimes he will leave the other ones alone for along time after I get a new rug. Then when I get a new rug he moves on???