Will Lilac Bushes Deter Deer?

Q: We enjoy having deer come into our backyard from the woods. If I planted a lilac bush, would it deter the deer from coming? Or do deer just not feed on lilac bushes?

Sandy from Alton, IL

A: Sandy,

Lilacs will not deter the deer from coming into your backyard. No plants will. Lilacs are considered deer-resistant, however, meaning that unless the deer in your area are feeling pressure from a lack of available food, chances are they will pass lilacs up in favor of other, more appealing plants. Supposedly, plants like catmint, lavender, thyme, sage and rosemary are also repulsive to deer. In fact, many plants with a strong smell, like marigolds for example, are likely to act as a grazing deterrent when planted near more tasty plants like your veggies, tulips or hosta. The only sure-fire way to deter deer from exploring your garden buffet is to have your dog stand watch in the yard or erect an 8-ft high fence. So go ahead and plant a lilac bush, just understand that you could eventually find yourself enjoying watching the deer while they nibble on its branches.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

No, a lilac bush will not deter the deer. In fact, they will eat it. You will probably never see it bloom and it will remain about the same height it was when you purchased it. I know. Deer are the biggest pests I know of. If you enjoy the deer coming into your yard then you must not have any annuals, perennials or young trees in your yard. I have had to do a lot of protecting here in my yard in order to see my 'stuff' bloom.

Wow! That's extreme! I have had no problem with deer when it comes to herbs (except parsley) or, as stated, strong-smelling plants. I'm the woman sniffing leaves at the garden center. They have mowed down hostas and lillies, among other things, I spray particular favorites with a mixture of egg and water in a Windex bottle and this has worked very well for me. Don't give up hope!

LOL! I found this thread while looking for info on how to deter deer from eating mylilacs during the winter.

Answer

Deer in Garden
Deer Resistant Plants
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 19, 2006
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Fawn (Baby Deer) standing in the grass.
Fawn (Baby Deer) Information and Photos
Deer in a garden
Homemade Deer Repellents
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 5:14:46 PM on 10.0.0.237 in 868 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.