Maple Seedling: So, This is How They Grow

I pulled this maple tree seedling from one of my outdoor potted plants this morning and thought it might be of interest to those who might want to share it with their children, as it illustrates perfectly how seeds become plants.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

During the 60s and 70s I was living in a townhome complex where most of the younger couples were saving for houses. When these little seeds fell into my flower beds and elsewhere I let them grow a bit and when someone moved out I presented them with a brand new tree for their new yard.

What a great picture! That reminds me of what I've done many years with my classes in school. You can moisten a folded paper towel, slide it into a zip-loc bag and put any kind of seed on it. Close the bag and tape it to a window. It a few days you'll have a sprout going and you can continue to watch it grow.

Thanks so much for sharing! I have pulled hundred of oak seedlings over the years, but have never seen a maple seedling like this.

Trish in CT

6/26/08

6:21pm