Easy Rooting Instructions

Root your plants and shrubs by cutting a small piece from your plant. Take a paper napkin or paper towel and fold it to hold a handful of garden soil. Place the bottom of the plant in soil and wrap the napkin around the bottom of the plant. Tie with a rubberband to keep soil from falling out and place it in a freezer type zip lock bag. Moisten dirt, not soggy and close ziplock bag. Place in a window and forget it for about 6 weeks. Wala, you now have a plant with roots. This works very well with roses also!

By Sharon from FL

thank you so much for posting this. i live in ga and i lost a lot of my plants last year during winter and i don't have greenhouse up yet this would be a great way for me to keep plant over summer using very little space!

Well, I know it's not quite that easy for most plants. Ya gotta know just where and how to cut each type. However, my grandson came in with several ziplock

freezer bags with beans in them from his science

class at Home School CoOp. His instructions were an experiment to see which grew best. They were to be placed in 1/the dark, 2/the light, and 3/the freezer.

The ones in both dark and light actually grew equally well and are now growing up a fence. I know that

many plants don't even need roots to grow, such as

Coleus, which, if cut about one inch below a nodule

will grow in any well drained enriched and moist soil.

I will keep trying to take cuttings at different places on my two fruit trees, since what I've done has not paid off and all cuttings died.

Some plants won't root, regardless. Houseplants do

better rootings for me than outdoor plants. I haven't tried roses since I'm focusing on food producing crops again this year just in case I'm lucky.

God bless you. : )

It's not Wala, It's actually "Voila! you now have a plant with roots" "Voila" is a french word meaning roughly "there you have it" and is pronounced Vwa-la

Every late fall just before frost, I take in as many impatiens in pots as I can. During the winter I always get root rot on some of the plants no matter what, even with light watering. So I take cuttings of those and put in little bottles of water & place on windowsills and by spring I have good roots to plant again in soil.

Most people just let their impatiens freeze & die & buy more each summer. Much thriftier to start summer with many free ones. That is very satisfying.

Smart Lady!

Thrifty thinking! I do this with a lot of plants. Right now, I have lots of red, white and pink Begonias started from last year's crop. Many are already blooming.

Denise & Linda, in your county there is the agriculture agent and they have free info there to help you. Your fruit trees may have been grafted and if so will not bear the same fruit. But if rooting hasn't worked try air layering you can google it and find out how it is easy just scary to start with and house plants respond greatly to it.

Have fun with it and don't stop trying but do some searching and picking some of the old farmers around don't mind sharing secrets even if you don't know them. I just walk up on the porch and ask ... found lots of good neighbors that way. As for me I just grow things...

I don't quite agree. If they successfully rooted a piece of the graft, they would have a true clone of that graft. Naturally, if they rooted a piece of the root stock, it would not bear the same fruit as the graft.

Rooting Plants
Rooting Plants
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsMay 7, 2007
A weeping cherry tree.
Rooting Fruit Tree Cuttings
Rooting Hormone
Make Your Own Rooting Hormone
Hydrangeas Cuttings
Growing Hydrangeas From Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
🎉
🎄