Outrageous Meat Prices - Categories:

MeatFood Tips

Outrageous Meat Prices

We just moved to Florida and I noticed meat prices are very high here. I have searched high and low for somewhere to shop for discounted prices. Even the sale items are expensive. Does anyone know of a good website to buy meat or anywhere in central Florida. Our family is about to become vegetarians unless we can get a break on these meats.

Danielle from Florida

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Danielle, I just returned from vacation in Florida and I, too, noticed the outrageous prices for meat. I live in Missouri and you can by seafood cheaper here than in Florida (of course it's frozen). If I lived in Florida, I would find out where the "locals" shop. Perhaps if you get away from the tourist areas that would help. Good luck and my sympathies are with you! Joni

Check your supermarkets for those ones that reduce lefovers and place them in the meat cases early Am and buy the discounted meats. I have one that has all leftovers including bakery and meats every morning at half price, others reduce meat about 1/3. I make a meal from the meats I buy, usually can find a few days worth at a time. That way I can shop 2X week and have all meat reduced and affordable.

Danielle,

I live in Avon Park, near Sebring, in Central Florida. I buy most of my meats from Albertson's and Winn-Dixie. You need to sign up for their preferred cards in order to get good prices, though. Signing up is free and I believe you get the card and savings immediately. At least, I did when I signed up for them. Although I can't find any good meat prices in this week's Albertsons' ad, a couple of weeks ago they had 5-pound hamburger chubs on sale for 99c per pound. I also had some coupons from Albertsons which I'd received in the mail that gave me an additional $5.00 off $30.00. Combining the coupons with the sale, I bought 40 pounds of hamburger for about 82c per pound. This week, Winn Dixie has whole sliced pork loin for 99c per pound. I try not to spend more than 99c per pound for meat, although I will occasionally pay as much as $1.19 per pound for skinless, boneless chicken breasts and even less occasionally pay a little more per pound for something my husband really wants.

Winn Dixie is the most common store to sell meats at reduced prices, as ScotFinn describes; however, this is widely known and I only find good bargains a couple of times a year this way. Maybe three or four times a year, I happen upon a package of reduced meat at Wal-Mart as well. The Kash'n'Karry in Sebring used to have good weekly sales on meat but they've gone out of business in our area. Perhaps they are still in business in other parts of Florida and you can find some good prices there.

I don't shop there often nor do I know anything about the quality of their meats, but I sometimes see good prices on ground turkey in Save A Lot's sale papers.

Hope this info helps some,

Kathy

Danielle,

Is there a Sam's Club nearby? They also sell their meat discounted if you get there in the early morning. I work nights and usually stop there there on my way home from work around 7am and load up!

Good luck!

Mara

Winn Dixie is your best bet with the discount card. But I think the trick is to only buy whats on sale and get out. Everything that is not on sale is usually cheaper at Walmart. I just returned from NJ yesterday and the highest price premium gasoline sells for under $2.00, why do we have to pay $2.27.

Good Luck,

Mary

we came down from ohio ,we take cooler and drive to orlando ,not just for price but quality, meat and vegtables are really bad down here

I think its time for someone to investigate the legal robbery thats going on in highlands county

hi, I know your post was a while back but if you are still looking for meat at decent prices try this web site - I live in the omaha area and can tell you this place is recommended (have never bought on line but have ate there meat in person. give it a try.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/

Save --- Don't eat meat. Avoid disease, the cruelty involved, the chemicals, the antibiotic overload. Get healthy. avoid the doctors and hospitals.

I use this site to find the best prices on items at the local grocery stores.

mygrocerydeals.com

I also check all the flyers each week to see what is on sale at the various stores. I've built up a stock & am now only purchasing what is on sale. If whole chickens are sale for a great price I buy 5, cut up, package & freeze. If ground meat is on sale I'll buy 5 lbs even though I only need 1. Package for individual meals & freeze.

Shopping like this I manage to save $30-$40 per week on the average.

Actually you would be better off not eating it. If you must have it buy organic and only eat it once a week. Since I don't think Florida has huge cattle ranches, you don't know where that meat comes from anyway. Being thrifty is not necessarily about saving money on cheaper food. It is about staying healthy and avoiding medical bills. Save on something else and eat organic.

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatAugust 25, 2004
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Wedding table with baby's breath in gold mason jars.
Choosing Wedding Flowers
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:29:43 AM on 10.0.1.249 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.