Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

I am going to go from dark to blonde and I realize I have to strip my hair first. It says it makes your hair devoid of all colour, but mine goes bright ginger. Is that normal?

By Jenny from Perth, W.A

Best Answer

First, I'd go to a pro if this is the first time. You are probably not using the right level of peroxide (20-30-40 - what you need is 40) plus, depending on your natural color, you may have to add a powder booster to that. Beware though because you can really damage your hair. You need to wait and deep condition your hair before trying again. Regular mayo and a plastic shower cap is a way a hair dresser suggested to me when I did platinum blonde years ago. It's very high maintenance.

LOL This reminds me of a traumatic henna this blonde had years ago. We did the typical run to Big Bear at 3am. We stripped the henna off and my hair was day-glo orange. I looked like Flippo the Clown! Then we applied ash blonde and when my sister rinsed it off, I saw purple running down the drain. Evidently that was normal but I didn't know and I cried and cried. It was ash blonde with a hint of red but eventually it went back to blonde. Good luck!

I have naturally dark brown hair with red tones, and it never mattered if I did it myself, or had it professionally done, but there was always that brassy undertone, so I decided to just go lighter on the brown, and have been much happier.

Trying the blonde route just brought out all the red in my complexion!

I need some input, I was a natural blonde, and I wanted to get some light brown low lights added to my blonde, I went to a salon to get it done. The girl took it upon herself to go darker than light brown and streaked my hair with coffee bean brown (dang near black). This dark color mixed with my blonde and looked gray! They apologized and told me since it was Friday and they were closed for the weekend I should come back Monday and they would fix it. I was not happy.

Anyways, I went Monday to get it fixed and all they did was darken my blonde a small bit but it still looked gray. So I went home and tried a stripper, didn't work. I waited and deep conditioned for about a week and just could not stand the gray look, so I covered it with A Burgundy. It looks OK, the color is beautiful, it covered it well, and I get compliments all the time. But I really want my blonde back. What should I do first, I would rather do it myself if I can, I don't have too much trust in salons.

April 4, 2011 Flag

The last time I colored my hair, I went a little darker. It turned out well, but I'm not satisfied with it because my grey is showing to soon. I want to go lighter to a blonde. I know that the ash colors will not be as red, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I was wondering if anyone here has gone from dark to light or if a stylist here might know.

I definitely do not want orange hair. I can't afford to go to the salon to have it done. My hair is medium length, and it costs me $60 to $75. When I color my hair, I immediately go to the salon and have it cut. That costs $10. I have been using Clariol products. I was also wondering if I could go to a Sally Beauty Supply and find a better color. I've never mixed it, other than from a box. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

I was born a brunette and I am now a blond. But I didn't do it in one drastic step. When I started noticing gray hair, I started coloring my hair. I went a shade or two lighter every time I bought the hair coloring. I like the transformation and it also gave other people a chance to get used to my color changes. (03/12/2009)

By hugmehugs

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

As I read this I am wearing a frosting cap and waiting for my hair to lighten. I have light-ash-brown hair and prefer a cool platinum blonde on me. I'd rather have my stylist highlight it with foils, but I'm being economical and frosting it now myself every other time.

My first advice would be to analyze whether you want a warm or cool shade, which will be based on your skin undertone. What colors look good on you? If you can wear browns, peaches, oranges, you may want a warmer shade of blonde. If on the other hand you look better in lavenders, blues, and pinks, you may look best in a cool shade, and a frosting kit might work.

Go gradual in changing your color so you can perfect it. I don't have much gray yet, but the platinum highlights tend to blend with what I have. If you frost, make sure to let it lighten all the way to avoid a brassy look, and pull hair through in little strands to go gradually blonder. (03/13/2009)

By joycerella

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

Just be careful. I had blonde streaks forever, and when, to save money, I started bleaching it myself, it got blonder and blonder, with dark in the back. I got tired of it. Put a med brown temp color on it. It didn't change my natural hair, but changed my blonde to brown.

Since it is a stain, it stayed brown but very slowly faded, and I had to temp color it again, about every 2 months. Cost is not too much, and it has no smell. I finally quit coloring my hair, and had my hair trimmed every two or three months til all the processed 'old' hair was gone.

Now I have white (ok, gray) with dk. brown. I could put a Sahara blonde temp color on it again, but then... I'd be deallng with those darn roots again.
Have fun with your hair, remember gray is ok. We worked hard for that color. (03/13/2009)

By islandsage

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

As a hair dresser this is what I would recommend. Hair color does not lighten hair color. You cannot put a lighter hair color all over and get the same color. What you could do is highlight all over (only go a little lighter, not all the way to blond) using hair bleach and a higher level peroxide. Use a highlighting cap, pull through rather sparingly (a little goes a long way to change the tone of the hair), put a shower cap on, leave on until you notice a little difference. It will give the appearance of a lighter shade without changing it all.

The next time you need to color, apply the lighter color to your regrowth and don't worry about the ends that are already colored. Sounds strange, but it works.

Of course, that's if you're only going a little lighter, not from black to blonde (example). God bless, and good luck, Debbi (03/13/2009)

By hairydeb

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

I am disabled, have had graying hair since my early 20's, and no courage to try dye at home.....I am naturally a medium to dark brunette, that gets many red and gold highlights in summer sun. My beautician/magician said no way to go much lighter than my natural color, that will really cover grey. She even uses a product (only available to licensed beauticians) to make the gray "take" and hold the color better.

A friend of mine was a light brown, so the graying wasn't as noticeable as mine, and she tried the "washout" colors, going 1 step lighter each time she redyed. There was some success in lightening her dark hairs, but be ready to color lots more often, and the lighter colors still may not cover the gray, plus it's not healthy for you or your hair to color so much. (03/13/2009)

By xsnos2

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

As a hairdresser, I would advise going to Salley's and pray for a knowledgeable clerk. Many are hair dressers. They can see you hair and we cannot. They should be able to help you with the color you need. Good Luck! (03/13/2009)

By Toebeanie

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

Thanks for all of your help! I don't know what my natural color is since it's been so long since I had natural color, but I think its light brown. :) I've been coloring since I was about 33 or 34. Thanks again.
Jan (03/14/2009)

By jrenee

Changing Hair Color from Dark to Light

I was also going to suggest popping into Sally's and asking for help. The people there usually know hair very well. They can give you ideas and go with the one you like.

Good luck. I like to buy a color and see what happens. I get compliments on my hair. I am lucky to have thick, healthy hair. Oh my motto about my hair is "it will grow back". (03/19/2009)

By meoowmom

Woman with dyed auburn hair.
Changing Your Hair Color
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 4, 2011
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Vertical Blinds
Changing the Color of Vertical Blinds
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes