Can I Machine Wash Dry Clean Only Draperies?

Would it be safe to machine wash heavy draperies - no fabric content is listed, however I believe it is Rayon. It also states dry clean only.

Alesha from Neosho, MO

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I can't see why you couldn't providing that you wash them on a gentle cycle, no bleach using a mild detergent.

Marge from NY

Rayon is often dry cleaned because it can become unstable when wet and can stretch or shrink and lose shape. You may want to try something like dryell instead if you want to clean them at home.

I machine-washed heavy draperies years ago and they shrank about 4 inches in length. I don't recall the fabric content. If they're expensive and/or custom-made, I'd have them dry-cleaned.

I have washed drapes that were dry-clean only with good success, but you never know how it will turn out. It is a gamble. If you do, use cold water and a mild detergent with a gentle cycle, and hang or lay flat to dry. Is there a piece you could experiment with? I had valances that I hated that I used as a test. If these are very expensive and relatively new drapes, I would have them dry cleaned. If they are not, go for it.

I had dry clean only drapes I used and dry cleaned for several years..expensive..I would have them cleaned about once a year. After several years, I tired washing them..my thinking being, I was sick of them anyway and so what...they turned out beautifully and I continued to use them for quite a while after that..they did lose some crispness and the headings suffered after a time. I don't recall the fabric content. You will have to decide whether you are willing to replace them if the "washing" does not pan out. I was, but got lucky. I am very fugral and would have been upset if they had gotten ruined even though I was ready to replace them~

Some dry-clean only things can be washed in your washer. However, if they are rayon, they will probably shrink.

I had lined custom draperies that were dry clean only. I tried washing them and they didnt come out well. Mine were poly cotton blend.. (I think) I wouldnt wash your drapes if they have rayon. It shrinks. YOu might want to try dry clean options that work in your dryer.

There is a kit you can buy to dry clean in your drier. Something like Dryol ??? My friend used this for all things that need dry cleaning. Think the kit costs about $6.00 and good for a couple uses.

Drapes are a pretty big investment; I don't think I would risk putting them in the washer. The rule seems to be if the tag says "Dry Clean" you can probably wash in the washer (cold water, no dryer) but if the tag says "Dry Clean Only".....you're better off not risking the washer.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pulled Back Curtain
Cleaning Curtains
Home and Garden Cleaning FabricSeptember 17, 2007
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning "Dry Clean Only" Clothing at Home, Row of Dry Cleaned Shirts
Cleaning "Dry Clean Only" Clothing at Home
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
A woman looking at her stained clothing.
Rust Stains From My Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 4:16:20 PM on 10.0.0.102 in 855 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.