Outdoor Herb Garden

What is the best way to grow a herb garden outside? Last year, I put several in a planting box, but did not use them often enough and it became overgrown.

By Becky Ann from Madison, OH

Becky, I grow herbs each year and never use them enough as there is just me and my husband so I trim them anyway and then I dry them in the dehydrator for about 20 minutes and crush them, put them in the freezer in a left over butterbuds bottle or any small container and when I need them they are just like fresh. You can dry them in the microwave to. Better than going to the store in georgia to find them.

To NEATLY grow herbs, I use 3# margarine tubs, cut out the bottom and that is the perimeter of what ever herb goes inside. I leave about 1 inch above the soil, stick the plant/seed inside. They get trained to stay in their own pots where without the tub, they would wander and get unsightly in the garden. I harvest when necessary, encourages growth. Esp with parsley and chives, I grab a handful at the bottom, cut it and wrap a rubber band around it. Makes for easier washing, you can 'swing' air dry it and also shove it into a bag in the freezer to pull out and deal with all at the same time for permanent use.

This picture is from spring 2007. I grow flowers and cucumbers here also. This area is about 6 ft x 7 ft.

Growing Herbs
Growing Herbs
Home and Garden Gardening HerbsApril 6, 2009
Spooky Halloween Ghosts Outside
Outdoor Halloween Decorations
Outdoor Wire Reindeer
Reusing Outdoor Wire Christmas Decorations
Decorations at an Outdoor Wedding
Decorating for an Outdoor Wedding
Aero Herb Garden
Planting an Aero Herb Garden Kit
🎄