Outdoor Herb Garden

What is the best way to grow a herb garden outside? Last year, I put several in a planting box, but did not use them often enough and it became overgrown.

By Becky Ann from Madison, OH

Becky, I grow herbs each year and never use them enough as there is just me and my husband so I trim them anyway and then I dry them in the dehydrator for about 20 minutes and crush them, put them in the freezer in a left over butterbuds bottle or any small container and when I need them they are just like fresh. You can dry them in the microwave to. Better than going to the store in georgia to find them.

To NEATLY grow herbs, I use 3# margarine tubs, cut out the bottom and that is the perimeter of what ever herb goes inside. I leave about 1 inch above the soil, stick the plant/seed inside. They get trained to stay in their own pots where without the tub, they would wander and get unsightly in the garden. I harvest when necessary, encourages growth. Esp with parsley and chives, I grab a handful at the bottom, cut it and wrap a rubber band around it. Makes for easier washing, you can 'swing' air dry it and also shove it into a bag in the freezer to pull out and deal with all at the same time for permanent use.

This picture is from spring 2007. I grow flowers and cucumbers here also. This area is about 6 ft x 7 ft.

Growing Herbs
Growing Herbs
Home and Garden Gardening HerbsApril 6, 2009
Spooky Halloween Ghosts Outside
Outdoor Halloween Decorations
Outdoor Wire Reindeer
Reusing Outdoor Wire Christmas Decorations
Perennial herb garden.
Growing a Perennial Herb Garden
Aero Herb Garden
Planting an Aero Herb Garden Kit
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 5:10:30 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.