Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Beano Substitute

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I need substitute for Beano that can be used for preventing gas and bloating from eating beans and vegetables.

Ed Langley from Rockford, Illinois

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 9 2,498 06/10/2004 Flag

Why buy Beano when a few slices of fresh ginger root can do the job, as well as many others.

1. Put a few slices of ginger in the dry bean soaking water, toss out with the water and cook the beans. For a hint of ginger in the beans add 2 or 3 slices to the cooking water. Prevents the gas forming formations.

2. For your fresh caught fish, a few slivers of ginger root in the cavity with green onion takes the blood taste out.

Fresh ginger root has hundreds of other uses.

To keep from molding, store in glass jar in white wine.

By Carolyn Choi

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer (Guest Post) 06/11/2004 Flag

You can store fresh ginger root pretty much indefinitely in the freezer in a zip-lock bag. When you need to use some it thaws in just a few minutes! No more moldy ginger!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 01/19/2006 Flag

You can put baking soda in your beans while you are cooking dried beans. You can also put carrots in your cabbage while cooking it to help avoid gas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lisa 2 4 01/19/2006 Flag

I always soak my dry beans overnight with a pinch of baking soda..also put a pinch in the pot when I cook them. I also use only the Goya brand beans...They are far less gas producing! I never have problems with the ugly hot air when I do all of the above.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By siris (Guest Post) 01/19/2006 Flag

The doctor recommended "Ovol 80" . the tiniest bit of gas was so painful for me at one time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Connie A. (Guest Post) 01/19/2006 Flag

When I cook beans I always cook them with a peeled carrot. Sounds strange but it works. When the are done you can either eat the carrot or throw it away but the gas is gone when you use this method. I've done this for years. I really didn't think it would work but somehow it does.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Toni (Guest Post) 01/26/2006 Flag

Soaking the beans overnight with a little
baking soda should work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Ruth Counter 2 72 01/29/2006 Flag

Beano story...my husband and I were in California. He was down there for work and I drove down for a week. We were at Thrifty Drug- we each went our own way to grab what we needed. I needed earplugs for swimming. As we waited to check out, I looked in our basket and realized there were only two things in it...Beano and earplugs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jon T. (Guest Post) 11/11/2007 Flag

"When I cook beans I always cook them with a peeled carrot. Sounds strange but it works. When the are done you can either eat the carrot or throw it away but the gas is gone when you use this method. "<P>
A prank my friend pulled to get his uncle back for a rude fart: he cooked a bunch of beans and chili, cut a few potatoes in half and cooked them in the mix (he does this to get rid of the gas in the beans), and then gave his uncle some really good tasting potatoes. The uncle's a truck driver with his wife, and it was a cold winter. <BR>So... I wouldn't eat that carrot mentioned above. Does anyone else know if it is okay to eat the carrot?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 02/15/2009 Flag

Some cooks suggest adding a small amount of baking soda to the cooking water to soften it. We don't recommend this because baking soda may give the beans a soapy flavor and its ability to improve the bean cooking process has not been proved. Amounts of baking soda over 1/8 teaspoon per cup of beans may destroy the thiamine (Vitamin B1) in beans. Thiamine is a valuable nutrient and one reason why beans have a reputation for being nutritious. If you have hard water and are in doubt as to whether or not to use baking soda, buy purified bottled drinking water - not distilled water - for soaking and cooking beans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes