What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

The daddy of my pregnant Shih tzu is a Chihuahua. When can we expect the puppies?

By Sharon from Dallas, TX

My question is why are you allowing your dog to have puppies. Do you know how many dogs are sitting in shelters around this country waiting for homes, many that never get homes? Please have your dog spayed after this litter and good luck finding them homes. Gestation is around 9 weeks.

First off the gestation period is 63 days.

Now for what Marfette said. I do agree that there are already too many dogs sitting in shelters now and your dog needs to be spayed.

But it sounds like it's too late for this litter. I don't know of a single vet who will abort a litter of puppies or kittens. So now that she's already pregnant there's not anything that Sharon can do except get her dog through this pregnancy and find good reliable homes for the puppies.

But I do hope you get her spayed as soon as they are born!

January 26, 2012 Flag

How long does it take for a dog to have puppies?

By Sally

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have always heard 3months+3weeks+3days. Not totally sure on that but, that's what I have heard.

It's normally 61-63 days, but if the litter is large, they could be born sooner. Of course, if you know when the female was bred, you can count the days; otherwise you have to guess. A vet, or experienced dog breeder, can palpate the female's abdomen and make an educated guess as to how far along she is in the pregnancy and how much time is left (and how many pups there are).

61-63 days and its best to have them exrayed a day or two before the birthing day. That way you will know if the first one is laying crossways or head down as she is suppose to be in the birth canal and the others can be born with no problems. That way she will not have severe pain in trying to have them. Good Luck! I have delivered over 25 litters of Pugs. Bulldogs are different. They cannot do it on their own. Only c-section. Nikki

Two months.

July 25, 2012 Flag

How long does it take for a Pitbull to have puppies?

By CJ from Washington, DC

8 weeks. Same for cats.

The same time as any other breed of dog. Ask the breeder or your Veterinarian. Is she a registered pedigree dog?

About 63 days. Could be a couple days before to a couple after

July 19, 2012 Flag

How do I know what day my Chihuahua became pregnant? She was mated on May 29th and May 30th. Also about how long are they usually pregnant for?

By Mari

All dogs are pregnant for an average time of 63 days. With the amount of animal overpopulation these days, perhaps you can spay your dog after this litter.

It is usually 61-63 days, but if the litter is very large, they could be born a little sooner.

April 23, 2012 Flag

How many weeks does it take for a girl Yorkie to have her puppies?

By Faith L. from Kingston, NY

A Yorkshire Terrier's gestation period, from conception is 63 days, or around nine weeks. That is two months and a few days.

Pregnancy Symptoms in a Yorkie

http://www.ehow.com/list_6947602_pregnant-yorkie-symptoms.html

How to Know when the Yorkie is in Labor

http://www.ehow.com/how_8454973_do-yorkie-labor.html

How to Help a Yorkie Give Birth

http://www.ehow.com/how_8488594_yorkie-give-birth.html

How to Care for Newborn Yorkies

http://www.ehow.com/how_8709031_care-newborn-yorkies.html

April 3, 2012 Flag

My dog is a tea cup Chihuahua and she is pregnant by a toy Poodle. She is medium fat and she has a little of milk coming out from the nipples. How many more days for the puppies to be delivered? Its her first time; how many will she have?

By teddybear125

There is no way to tell for sure how many she will have.

Do you know what day on which she bred with the male?

It is usually about 60 days until pups are born.

March 27, 2011 Flag

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

How long will it take my 10 month old Shepherd Akita mix to have pups? I lined her back with a pure Akita.

By Damien from Bridgetown, Barbados

Answers:

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

The gestation period for dogs and cats is 63 days from the date of conception. If you know the exact date of conception, you can count it out on the calendar and you'll be on the nose for when the pups will arrive. (03/09/2010)

By Cricketnc

March 8, 2010 Flag

I wish to know the gestation period for our pet Shih tzu dogs?

By Terry from Camarillo, CA

Answers:

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

It's 63 days from the day of conception. I was brought up with my mother breeding dogs, and I bred them myself for many years and it never failed. (11/05/2009)

By Cricketnc

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

I suggest if you are thinking of breeding your pet you get in contact with a good vet. God willing you won't need their services, but if you love your pet you will be prepared. Small breeds tend to have problems in delivering. If you aren't sure when she got bred the vet can give you a pretty good idea when she gets close. Her temperature will go up a couple of degrees and she will start nesting. I have raised puppies for years and wish you luck. Nothing more rewarding than watching the little babies being born and loving that Momma. Good luck. (11/05/2009)

By latrtatr

RE: What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

It is 63 days on any dog and your dog's temp is always higher than a humans like about 102, but if you test her and she is going higher than that she is getting ready to go into labor.

Debbie (11/05/2009)

By dcsprsmm

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 27, 2011
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎄