Recipes for Roti and Busip Shirt

I am looking for recipes to make 2 great dishes from Trinidad called ROTI and BUSIP SHIRT. They have curry, potatoes, seasonings and meat, poultry, or shrimp of your choice. The ROTI has a tortilla shape of skin folded around the filling. The skin is made with flour, split peas, and other items. It can be held in your hands and eaten that way or cut with knife and fork. The BUSIP SHIRT is similar in that the filling is put on a dinner plate and the tortilla shape skin is folded and dipped into the filling and eatened. The pronunciation of ROTI sounds like "row tee". BUSIP SHIRT sounds like "busted shirt". They are really great and I really would like to make them.

tryanything from Jackson, NJ

I'm clueless on this subject but they sound yummy......hope someone can provide the recipe!

Check out cookbooks for recipes from India. You will find them there!

I'm unable to find anything about Busip Shirt but here are some recipes for Roti:

http://www.indianfoodsco.com/Recipes/breads.htm

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-variety/roti

http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/south2.html

The recipes that I am looking for are from Trinidad. I have tried the India versions. They are different. The recipes need to be from only Trinidad. Thanks for giving me these websites, I will look at them. My friends from Trinidad moved out of state. We made them one time. Boy, were they great! They are really delicious. My mouth salivatesOne of my coworkers' wives use to make them regularly. She's with the Good Lord now. I have heard that I can purchase Roti's in Brooklyn, NY. I am not a regular NYC traveler and have not ventured there.

Any Trini I would welcome their recipes.

I think this is the one:

http://recipes.caribseek.com/Trinid ... go/buss-up-shut-and-roti-bread.shtml

There are also some good recipes on this site:

http://recipes.caribseek.com/Trinidad_and_Tobago/

http://recipes.caribseek.com/caribbean-recipes.shtml

Let us know how they turn out.

Susan

Thank you for the recipe websites for India recipes. I have tried their version of Roti at a restaurant. It is not the same as the Trinidad version. It is quite different. I am looking for recipes from only Trinidad at this time. My former coworkers' late wife use to make them on a monthly basis. I use to buy 6 or 8 at a time and then freeze them. The ROTI is really delicious if you like Curry in your dishes. I miss eating them. I have heard that in Brooklyn, NY, there are places to buy them. I am not a NY person and don't go there. I would love to hear from a Trini to get some recipes to try making ROTI and BUSIP SHIRT. I had some great next door neighbors from Trinidad. They moved out of state and haven't had any of their great cooked meals in years. I wish they were here because they were the BEST people around! Hope someone can help.

Sorry about the repeat responses. I couldn't see the post reply. I just looked at the caribseek websites. WOW I couldn't believe some of the recipes there. I did notice that the ROTI recipe didn't contain the split peas that was used by my former neighbors. I will try these when I get some time. I have been busy doing the "honeydo list". If anyone sees more websites or has their own recipes, I am STILL interested in them. Thanks again.

The websites that Thriftyfun has posted definately has some good stuff. The description of ROTI and BUSIP SHIRT is right on the money. I have to look for the filling recipes. When my neighbor cooked the skins, I made some steel plates for them out of 1/4" plate steel around 16" in diameter. They put the steel on the range burner instead of the oven. That really worked better. It was great that I was able to be a part of their lives while they were here.

Steve

http://www.trinifood.com/recipes/dhalpuri.htm

I had the wonderful opportunity to have my former neighbor who I call Mom, (she is like my real Mom, that is no longer here), at my home for the weekend. She explained to me, while I was following her instructions in the kitchen, on how to make the curry filling for the Roti. I cut up 1 onion, about 6 cloves of sliced garlic, some cooking oil and sauteed them in a heavy pot. When that was done, I added about 2-3 cups of diced potatoes. I added about 5 tablespoons of curry powder and some water to cover the top of everything. I cooked this at high heat till the potatoes were nearly done. Then I added about 2-3 cups of diced uncooked chicken. I let that cook, constantly stirring and tasted it. I had to add some more curry powder and salt and pepper to taste. I let this cook down till everything was cooked. I then let this cool down some to thicken on it's own. I then unrolled the Roti and heated it in the microwave, put the filling in and folded it over. I have got to tell you that it was delicious! My family and I had the pleasure of taking Mom to her Grandson's home in Hackensack, NJ where we had a glorious time cooking and eating more Trini foods! It was GREAT!

Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalJune 18, 2006
T-shirt
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
sharpie tie dyed tshirt
Making a Sharpie Tie Dyed T-Shirt
onion roti bread
Indian Roti Bread
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
🎄
🍂