AdviceFood Tips

What is "press and seal"?

What is "press and seal"?

By pblackstock from Temple, TX

The only time I heard those words together was about a new type of plastic wrap. It's more expensive. I use Saran Wrap myself.

I believe kghsave is right. I use it for some things that I'm going to open many times (pie) but for general one-time use use a cheaper wrap. Press & seal is very handy, however. I can't get regular wrap to seal and hold but this stuff will.

Yes, it is a Saran or plastic wrap alternative, maybe even an alternative for wax paper too. I really like it because it seals to glass or itself very well. It doesn't stick to plastic as well, or itself after it gets too much condensation but saran wrap doesn't restick very well either, and usually rips. Looks like it is manufactured by Glad:

http://www.glad … p/pressnseal.php

It is thicker than plastic wrap so you can use it to cover your cutting board for flattening meat and it won't rip. It is supposed to be very good for the freezer. The ads show that you can place it on a cup of juice and then turn the cup upside down and nothing will spill out. It really does grip that tightly, I have done that for fun.

We use it to premake sandwiches for the kids that we can just put in the freezer to save, and then pull them out to thaw or heat in the microwave. We also use it to make homemade burritos that are already cooked, like the Jose Ole brand (I think that's the brand), and freeze them individually. Heat them for like 30-45 seconds, and if there's any spillove of cheese or filling, it's contained in the press n seal pouch/wrap.

Also great for crafts with the kids. I make up the "kits" the night before for the kids. I put in everything material wise that is needed, seal each individual set of items, and then just put it up for the next day. It works great for my 5 year old, my 3 1/2 year old, and my 2 year old. Makes it easy to do a craft anytime in the day without having to dig through the craft box for everything.

More expensive but worth it. I don't use regular saran wrap, that is a waste of money.

Similar to saran wrap, but a bit denser, fine for one use, but will not work as well if you want to re-use it, and in these times, who wants to waste money?

Press-n-Seal (which is, indeed, made by Glad) is nothing short of a boon to those of us who aren't as dexterous as we used to be... (grin!) Instead of fighting with flimsy cling wrap and ending up with a ball of useless junk or being half-smothered by it, I can pull out the necessary length of Press-n-Seal and actually have it stay flat-out (more or less) until I'm ready to press it onto the item I'm wrapping. I only use cling wrap now if I have no alternative.