White Molding on Red Wall

I'm painting one wall in my dining room Cranberry Cocktail by Benjamin Moore and am installing crown molding as well. My question is do you put white crown molding on a red wall? Please help.

Kukiny from NYC

Best Answer

We painted our dining room a brick red color and added the white molding and I love the look!

I don't see why not? It would look great!

White molding would to outstanding IMHO, a ivory or off white wouldn't stand out so much, you want it noticed but you don't want it to stand out because it will become the first thing someone see where as a softer color will blend in and not so prominent.

It really depends on what you want to do, if you want to outline a wall so that it stands out then white is what you want.

That color combination sounds great. If it is another shade of red like burgandy or maroon, you could use another color that is muted like cream or beige.

My daughter painted her kitchen red. Her cabinets are white and her countertops are black(we painted the countertops using the directions from thrifty fun) Her crown molding is white and her kitchen just POPS. It looks great. Go for it--if you dont like it--paint again. You don't know unless you try.

Keep in mind, that if any of your accessories are green your room will look like a mexican or italian flag.

If you have softer accessories, you may want to do the molding in a softer dusty rose. And as the very smart poster said...you can always repaint.

Most painting stores now offer a small "tester" container for about 4.00

Take it home, do one 2' swatch, let it dry and look at it in natural light.

If you love it, get some more. If not, you can use it to doll up craft items, paint some wooden shelves or just donate it to the local charity.

Keep in mind, that computerized decorating is a huge deal now. You can go to home depot and for a 2 minute tutorial, you can mix and match any two colors and see it before you even mix the paint.

Good luck!!

Yor colors will look GREAT, have fun enjoy your creativity, when it comes to crown molding we recently discovered there are 2 types, real wood, beautiful, but costly , and the lightweight styro kind, a 10' piece is about $14.00 in home depot, and thats for the whole piece, not a foot! Lots of design choices, lighterweight too! have fun! nallorey,

Love the red and crisp white combination. And, I would go with wood instead of the cheap molding.

We installed the faux wood molding around the doors , floor and ceiling of our dining area (I posted the photo earlier) and I think it looks as good as real wood would look. Plus, it didn't have to be primed and painted! I think it cost a total of $200 to do the whole room. Everyone that visits gives compliments on the molding.

white molding red wall
Molding Advice for a Red Wall
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceOctober 30, 2008
Installing Crown Molding, Crown Molding Ready to be Installed
Installing Crown Molding
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄