Motorcycle Club Christmas Float Ideas: Theme "Storybook Christmas"

I desperately need help in decorating a float. My club is a motorcycle club and last year we made a sled and painted it orange and black, we had a seat in there for Mr. and Mrs. Santa to sit in, then we had children sitting around.

This year the theme is : "A Storybook Christmas", and we would like some ideas on how to decorate the float, and maybe the motorcycles, they ride in front of the float that is being pulled by a pick-up truck. Thank you for your ideas. Ann

By Ann from Wytheville, VA

You could make the float Santa's workshop and barn,use materials to turn the motorcycles into reindeer,and have a stuffed reindeer with a red nose on the float,with Santa talking to and petting him, asking "Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?" Then have that phrase on the sleigh somewhere where people can read it. A fog machine would be wonderful!

I would make "storybooks" out of two pieces of plyboard hinged together so you can have one book on one side and another title on the other. Paint the story book pictures on the outside cutting out holes for the characters in the book to be played by people dressed as the characters riding on the float. If using a flat bed trailer you should be able to get 4 books on the trailer.

This is almost like a 3 dimensional book where the characters come alive. (think about the wooden cut outs you stick your head in and get your picture taken.) Base the books on popular xmas stories such as A Charlie Brown Christmas. The people on the float can then throw candy, coloring books or story books to the kids in the crowd. Parades are for kids so if you don't know any xmas books just ask the children what their favorite is. You can still dress the cyclists as reindeer. Hope this helps. Please post pictures of your float.

I see a variation of the little kid's book The Little Engine That Could. Make an open cover with plywood with a motorcycle replacing the train engine, and other cycles behind (this is for if you have an artist to call on). Hole in the middle for a cycle and driver to stick through. The lettering could say This Cycle Can or something better that you can think up in 10 seconds. If part of it is throwing candy, have kids or adults dressed in their cycle clothes. It would be cute (to me) to have some sort of bananas or banana fabric draping or decorating the sides. Have fun. When's the parade? I live in Bristol and love a good parade.

My first thought was, what are the most recognizable storybook characters? Perhaps riders could dress as Mother Goose, the bike could be her gander with a little imagination. Other riders could be other classic storybook characters like Winnie the Pooh and his bunch, or the Velveteen Rabbit. I don't know the modern storybook characters, but it's an idea. You can use whatever characters work best for you.