Money Saving Tips for Christmas Decorations

Don't spend a lot on your holiday decorating. There are so many inexpensive outlets nowadays. If you haven't been in one lately, the dollar stores (especially chains like the 99 Cent Store and Dollar Tree) have wonderful Christmas goodies all for a dollar. I got a few strands of fancy tinsel to decorate the booth where we are playing Santa Claus. And don't forget thrift shops! They are full with the remnants of other folks Christmas stuff.

It's time to start your OWN collection - to be put away and brought out year after year. It becomes a tradition and is very frugal. Oh, and pine boughs can be found at your local tree outlet. They will just throw them away - so you can have them for free to put in a vase and have the pine smell of Christmas.

My first Christmas away from home, I made a tree with paper ornaments cut our from magazines, which I always remember. It doesn't take much. So use your imagination and not your credit card.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

Some of those ninty nine cent store items are made in China and have lead in the wire covers and in the paint. These products are toxic so if there are kids in the house one should double check them.

I was just going to send the alarm as Lilac did. we Americans are being swayed by cheap prices on products from China and Taiwan, but at what price to our health and health of our children? I've been reading a lot of newsletters lately that tell us about alarming ingredients in those "cheap" products. Why this information isn't on the daily news stations is beyond me. We have to start making our own things, from base products made in America, or we have to support American companies and know we will pay more for products that are regulated on our behalf.

Gingerbread Christmas Decoration
Saving Money on Christmas Decorations
Better Living Frugal Living TipsDecember 7, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights