Best Inexpensive and Long Lasting Flea Remedy

I am having a flea problem, does anyone have any advice on what is the best and long lasting way to get rid of fleas in my home? I am also on a fixed income so I can't afford professional or really expensive remedies! Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

By Candy from North Myrtle Beach, SC

Don't ask me how this works but it does. Someone told my mother to do this. I have four "babies" in the house so I know this works. I do use frontline on them but not on my furniture. Place a lamp on the floor and set a shallow bowl of water under it. Squirt Dawn Dishwashing, original scent in the bowl of water but do not disturb. The light attracts them and they fall in the water. I've counted as many as 10 fleas at a time. Change each night till you no longer see any fleas in the bowl. I tried it without the dawn with no results.

Hey there Candy.

There are two problems to address here; the house and the pets. If you really want to stretch your dollar then go out and buy the appropriate sized flea control for your pets. Frontline is labeled for one month but really works for about three (although I recommend using it monthly for the first 2-3 months).

For cats, apply it the neck, as directed. For dogs; give them a good bath and make sure they are super dry. Apply the frontline down the midline of the back. One spot on the head, and continue all the way to the base of the tail. Be sure to part the hair and apply it all the way to the skin. (You should have about four or five different spots along the back, including the head and tail base).

Now the house. Buy some 20 Mule Team Borax from the store and sprinkle your carpets with it. Use a decent amount, enough to make the carpets white. Then stomp it in! I would leave it there for about a week..letting people walk all over it! (This really works it into the carpets!) After the week, take a vacuum to it! You'll suck up all the visible stuff but the Borax will forever be ground into the carpet. The secret is that the microscopic crystals interfere with the flea's ability to breath and the egg's ability to hatch.

Note: Make sure you cover all carpeted areas, even throw rugs and under the bed.

Frontline doesn't wash off, but hold off on pet baths for a week after application.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
Pets FleasDecember 1, 2010
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Dog and Vacuum
Home Remedies for Fleas
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
🎄