Getting Rid of Weeds Naturally

I would like to start my veggie garden soon and don't want to have to pull a lot of weeds! Is there something I can use that is not a chemical to keep the weeds at bay from my garden?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Once you get rid of all the weeds you can maintain it by mulching. The mulch will also help retain some moisture.

Once my garden is planted, I put several thicknesses (about 3 single sheets) of newspaper in between the rows. Then collect the grass clippings from the lawn, and cover the paper with that (it may take a couple of mowings before I cannot see the paper anymore). I wet it down, so the paper will not blow away. By the end of the growing season, the paper and most of the clippings have broken down, and I just till it all in when I till the garden. My soil is nicer and nicer every year; I only have to weed among my plants, not in between rows, and it gives me a place to put the clippings, which are so abundant in the early part of the mowing season. (The rest of the summer, I can usually just leave them on the lawn to enrich the soil.)

April 21, 2011 Flag

How do you get rid of weeds in a vegetable garden naturally? I don't want to use any chemical stuff. I seem to be pulling weeds all the time and can't get rid of them.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Answers:

Getting Rid of Weeds Naturally

I get all at WalMart, mix together in watering can (to be used just for this) til salt melts. Sprinkle on weeds in the afternoon and they are dead by the next day! I use this in my dog pen every 4-8 weeks! (07/21/2010)

By JoanDogs

Getting Rid of Weeds Naturally

While vinegar and table salt both kill weeds, they will also kill your vegetable plants and are not good things to use in a veggie garden since they will stay in the soil. Have you tried mulching? I typically weed my garden once, after the weeds are about 3 inches tall. I then place down wet newspapers covered with a layer of fresh cut grass. You can use cardboard or plastic too (just make sure to punch holes for water to drain through to the soil). I always mulch my garden so I don't spend the summer pulling weeds. It saves so much time and trouble. If you pull the weeds before they go to seed, you can just lay them on top of the soil to block other weeds from growing. Read some books on organic gardening, you'll get lots of hints. (07/22/2010)

By susanmajp

Getting Rid of Weeds Naturally

In a veggie garden you have two choices, pull the weeds and/or mulch. Chemicals are not really an option as anything that will kill weeds will kill your vegetables. Things that you might use to kill weeds in lawns will kill your veggies too. Hoeing and pulling are the things that most gardeners do. (07/28/2010)

By louel53

July 16, 2010 Flag

Is there anyway to get rid of weeds naturally?

By Kim from North Syracuse

Answers:

Getting Rid of Weeds Naturally

I suppose it would be out of line to mention pulling them out by hand? (04/02/2010)

By labandibar

Getting Rid of Weeds Naturally

Besides pulling them of course, there's also applying mulch, either a thick layer of natural mulch or weed barrier fabric. There's also flame weeding. (04/02/2010)

By MrsRose

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsApril 21, 2011
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
rock salt next to grinder and pile of coarsely ground salt
Getting Rid of Weeds with Salt
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎄