Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Do You Kill A Mulberry Tree

I am cleaning up my grove and have a overabundance of Mulberry trees, around 225 of them. I would like to destroy every last one, but I know that cutting them down does not kill the tree, they will come back. After cutting them down, what type of application can I apply to the stumps to totally be rid of the tree for good!

By Brad from Swea City, IA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Brit [1]10/15/2010

There is nothing that you can apply to the stumps to make the roots die. The correct way to kill the trees would be to remove the roots from the ground. You can either hire a company to do this or if you have a tractor, you can dig them out yourself. I'm not sure what you are using the land for, but overall it would be best if you could remove everything. Roots that are left in the ground will continue to try to grow and the roots will continue to feed even with the tree stump cut off. So, if you build a house or have landscaping on the property then you can have major problems with roots getting in everywhere (like pipes) and stealing vast amounts of water from your landscaping. And if you leave the roots and then the roots start to decompose under the ground, then your yard will have lots of mushrooms popping up everywhere and lots of bugs, all feeding on the dead tree roots. The way that tree removal companies remove trees is cutting out the roots completely. Sure it will make your yard ugly, but the grass will always regrow back.

Chemicals won't help you, chemicals are a poison and they will hurt you. They may cause damage to the trees but you would need A lot of poison and do you really want to live or garden or anything in an area that was just washed in poison?

What I would recommend, check with local woodworkers in the area. Mulberry tree wood, also called Murrey, is supposed to be great wood for fine furniture. Perhaps you could sell the wood to local artisans to help recoup the costs of removal. Or depending on how large these trees are, you could sell them to be transplanted elsewhere. People pay big bucks to have large trees transplanted, although it does require about a years of prep work from the owner to prune the root system.

By Rob [1]10/10/2010

If the Mulberry tree is the same a mulberry bush, then I think you need to cut the roots. I was at college, many years ago, and there was a mulberry bush on the grounds. While installing a power cable to the boat house, the bushes roots were damaged. I believe it survived, as the damage wasn't that bad, but the National Trust was concerned, and though it might die.

Here are questions related to How Do You Kill A Mulberry Tree.

Question: Killing the Root Runners from a Paper Mulberry Tree

How do you kill the root runners from a paper mulberry tree that has been cut down?

By Marilyn A.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Do You Kill A Mulberry Tree

Does anybody know how to kill a mulberry tree? I have tried cutting it down, but it keeps coming back.

Karen

RE: How Do You Killy A Mulberry Tree

Once the tree is cut down to ground level, drill a hole in the remaining trunk and pour salt in the hole. The salt will kill the remaining roots. This works. It's how we kept the trees out of our sewer lines. (12/30/2004)

By Jari

RE: How Do You Kill A Mulberry Tree

I would pour a large bottle (or 2) of vinegar where the roots would soak the vinegar up as if it were water. This should kill off the roots. (12/30/2004)

By Ann

RE: How Do You Kill A Mulberry Tree

Use Tordon, A product you can buy and use on the stumps of anything to keep them from growing back. Just circle the stump with a ring of it. It is very toxic. We buy ours at a local farming supply store. Always follow directions! Good luck. (12/30/2004)

By Chell

RE: How Do You Kill A Mulberry Tree

Next time you cut it down paint the stump immediately, (within seconds), with neat Round Up concentrate, (glyphosate), weed killer. You must do it quickly before the plant's transport system closes over to "heal" the cut. Obviously take the usual precautions like wearing gloves. The manufacturers claim this weed killer is broken down quickly in the soil so there will be no residual effect if you want to plant something else there.

For Sherry, mulberries are very easy to propagate if you can find one near you - just strip most of the leaves off the bottom of a small end branch about 12 inches long and place in pot of potting mix and keep damp, or you can just stick straight into the soil. Do more than you think you'll need as they may not all take.

Regards. (01/01/2005)

By Jo B.