Dairy Products Causing Septic to Backup

Could someone tell me if there is anything you could use in your septic system to dissolve ice cream and milk products? We have an ice cream stand and the people are always putting the unused ice cream and milk down the drain and then the septic backs up. We have to have it pumped all the time. It does not dissolve the way it should.

By Glenn from Coalport, PA

I use to pour RootX down our drain in toilet. It helped very much, never had to have it drained or pumped out, good luck.

I don't know that those kinds of products will dissolve the fats, which is what is causing the problem. Unfortunately, your drain field is probably all clogged by the fat. I would call septic contractors in your area and ask for advice. You may need a new drain field. But they can probably put a fat trap in your system to prevent future occurrences.

I would also invest in bright, large signs that ask that milk products NOT be put down the drain. What a pain for you! Good luck!

I am not a plumber or septic tank person of any sort, but I pour yeast down my commode each week. I was told by my mother in law that it breaks down stuff in the septic just like the other septic cleaners. I cant guarentee it works but worth a try to see if you notice improvement. I buy in bulk but pour the equivalent of 2 packages a week minimum..

Well, if you have an ice cream stand where else are the dairy waste products supposed to go? It's not a good idea to throw those into the trash bags as they will very likely leak immediately. Maybe it's just the sheer volume of liquid that your septic field can't handle. You probably need a professional cleaning pretty frequently as yours is a commercial operation.

I thank everyone for there comments, but no one has any thing that we have not tried, and for the drain field and the drainage is fine but when you put milk and milk byproducts in the septic system it kills the bacteria and nothing dissolves the way it should. so thanks for nothing,

Sorry that you did not get the help you need, but this site is for people who appreciate what advice they get. The people here are such good and kind folks with plenty of wonderful advice, so for you to say "thanks for nothing" was very rude.

Found this concerning septic systems and dairy waste:

The bottom line is that septic systems and dairy waste never mix--you will have ongoing failure unless you either hook in to a municipal sewer system or dispose of the waste through your trash system. If you don't want to deal with leaky bags, throw a layer of cat litter or play sand to absorb the waste before disposal.

By the way, thumbs up, Marfette. If this were me, I think I would have done a little research into all aspects of business operations before dumping the dairy sludge into the septic system. Finding the info took under a minute just by Googling.

I clean my drains once a month with Baking Soda and White Vinegar let sit for 10 minutes then pour warm to hot water down the drains.It's supposed to keep the sludge off the pipes and prevent it from building up.Too much sludge will narrow the hloe for draining.

Septic Tank
Maintaining Your Septic Tank
Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankMarch 20, 2010
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
Using Brewer's Yeast in a Septic System
Using Brewer's Yeast in a Septic System