This is a simple sewing project that is great for gifts, and many can be made in under an hour.
- under a yard of non-stretch fabric (main fabric)
- small amount of tulle or netting fabric
- sewing machine (or needle and thread)
- rotary cutter (optional)
- table to work on
Sizes can be what you wish, but here are some to start with:
- Cut a 4 inch square of tulle/netting, a 2.5 inch strip from the main fabric, 5.5 inch strip.
- Lay the 2.5 inch strip on table in front of you, place tulle on top so that one edge is along an edge of the strip. Sew with 1/4 inch seam, cut and do the same with opposite edge of tulle (and cut).
- Now you can iron the seams in, so that they can't be seen through the tulle. I didn't want to drag out the ironing board, so I just stitched it down.
- Lay out the 2.5 inch strip again, now placing the long side face down(including main fabric), and sew/cut. Do both sides.
- Now you have the top fabric! Now is the time to cut it down or even it out.
- The backing will consist of two strips of fabric overlapping: this is so you don't need a zipper, Velcro, etc. To begin making backing: take a 5.5 inch strip and fold right edge in 1/8 inch and fold over that (so raw edge is hidden), sew in place. Again, you could iron this or pin in place. I just find it easier (and faster) to guide it and fold in as I go.
- Cut two pieces from sewn strip, that match width of square. Measure easily by laying out strip, place top panel over it and cut a bit larger (leave room for accidents), and cut another.
- Lay the top panel (tulle w/border) on table face up. Place one sewn strip face down (fold over should face you) on bottom and the second overlapping(with both sewn edges meeting in the middle). All raw edges should be on outer edges. Pin in place.
- Sew on the other side, so you can use the square as a guide.
- Cut edges around stitching, close (less bulk).
- Flip and Fill! You are done!
I made these as gifts for Valentines Day, and I am still getting compliments. It's a nice way to start the day with rose scented clothes! Enjoy!
By starchild from Lamoille County, VT
Editor's Note: This would also be a good Mother's Day gift.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 30, 2016 at 11:22:12 PM on 10.0.1.150 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us