Starting a Cleaning Business

I am currently a stay at home mum going to college and would like to start a cleaning houses. What are the rates around Bordentown and do I need a license to do that? I really need help in figuring it out as I am ready to start working. I am very hard working and reliable. Just send me a mail and I will be there.

By Gloria from Bordentown, NJ

A friend does house and office cleaning but not as a business per se. She did apply for the bank cleaning job, but had plenty of experience from cleaning at a motel. The few houses she does is by word of mouth. She's good and very thorough and with house cleaning charges $5 over minimum wage and a kenneled of 4 hours.

I pay twenty an hour to someone who does more and better in less time than expected. I am so happy with the sparkle she brings to the home.

I'm planning to start a house cleaning business in southern California. What type of licenses/other start ups do I need and where do I do this? How much will it cost. I'm just starting slow doing a few houses per week.

By puffinsmom from RSM, CA

Answers:

Starting a Cleaning Business

When starting a small business you need to go to the county office building for a license. A little FYI you need to be bonded in case you break something. I paid 30.00 for my license for jewelry making. Also go to a tax office and find out what you can deduct on your taxes: your car, mileage or general (repairs, oil changes, etc.) a room in your home that you own, where you store your business items.

Car deduction is tricky you have to have a base than your mileage is counted from base to the job, for example I do catering for a restaurant not my own business. I drive 30 miles to pick up the food and deliver it with my own car. On my taxes I can only count the miles from the restaurant to the venue, so I charge my boss a delivery fee.

I am also tax exempt when I buy my product to make my jewelry, but then have to pay taxes on the finished product that I sell. All this is a little different than what you are doing, but it is a wise idea to look into. (10/16/2010)

By leekelly

I have a cleaning business and would like to get new customers, but I don't have a price list. I need help in this regard.

By Patrick from Loganville, GA

Answers:

Starting a Cleaning Business

List your cleaning services. (01/27/2010)

By Suntydt

Where can I find information about a cleaning list for a new cleaning business? I know how to clean, but want to make sure I don't miss anything pertinent. Also, what do you think of the name "Clean As A Whistle Cleaning Service" for the name of my cleaning business? Thanks for your help.

By Sharon from Defuniak Springs, FL

Answers:

Starting a Cleaning Business

I am not sure what you mean by a "cleaning list". Do you mean cleaning product list, check list of things to clean and/or price list for cleaning?

The name "Clean As A Whistle" for a cleaning business would definitely catch my eye. (11/13/2009)

By Deeli

Starting a Cleaning Business

You would do best to start your own cleaning list. Sit down with a pad and pencil, pick a room and write down everything you would do to clean it. Then another room. Or make a list of different types of rooms and then start with the first one and everything you would do to clean it, eg. kitchen, dining room, breakfast bar, den, living room, sunroom, game room, sewing room, family room, bedroom, bathroom, sauna/whirlpool room, walk in closet, cupboard, bar, pool room, indoor swimming pool area, play room, porch, attic, basement, furnace room, and root cellar.

Pick whether you will clean these rooms or not and then list what you will clean in that particular room.

Once you have your room list, give each room a page of its own in a notebook and list what you will clean, how you will clean it, and what you will clean it with. You can also consider shed, garage and hot/green house cleaning. This will be invaluable when a customer asks how or what you clean with. Consider different types of cleaning: el cheapo, thorough, disinfected cleaning, and allergen cleaning.

Making yourself available to clean what most cleaning places don't will make you more valuable.

Oh yeah, I think you posted you have a name, but I thought of "Godliness Cleaning". (11/13/2009)

By Suntydt

I am looking to start a cleaning business and not sure if I should go into just cleaning offices, or cleaning out homes after people move out and before others move in. Anyone have any experience or advice on this to share?

DLynn

Answers:

Starting a Cleaning Business

I have only a suggestion. I have an Aunt who was in the cleaning business for over 20 years. She is now on disability from various problems caused from the chemicals in the cleaning products she used over the years.
Please use a mask when you do your cleaning, or use chemical free products. (03/07/2008)

By PICO

Starting a Cleaning Business

I live in Delaware and pay $90 for 4-5 hours of cleaning and I supply the vacuum cleaner and all supplies. This lady is an honest person and a wonderful cleaner. If she breaks something, she tells me or leaves me a note if I'm not at home. As an earlier post said, she doesn't change the bed linens, do laundry or dishes. I clear the small things from the bathroom countertops before she comes, and I pick up the old newspapers. Being honest...not stealing is most important. I lost several things before I found this lady. The going rate depends on the area of the country where you live. Good luck with your business. (03/07/2008)

By hj

Starting a Cleaning Business

My daughter was a military wife, and she made good money cleaning military base housing when the families were transferring or being discharged. The military does a pretty strict inspection, and, many of them feel that it is just easier to hire the cleaning done. She also put herself through college by doing the cleaning in a huge apartment complex where she lived. She cleaned appliances, cabinets, showers, and carpets after tenants moved out and before the apartment was rented again.

If you do cleaning for private households, you will get referrals from your satisfied customers to help build your business. I would suggest that you include all types of cleaning jobs when you are starting out, then you can change to a specialty in the future. (03/08/2008)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Starting a Cleaning Business

Do you want to work days, nights, or both? Most offices are cleaned after hours. I do one office that I have to do during their working hours because it is a pharmacy and they are very strict about anyone being in there without a pharmacist on duty. It is somewhat of a pain to clean with the workers there, but I have adjusted to it. Mostly I do houses that people live in, and I weed them out. I won't take on a job that I know the owners will be home. It is too time consuming to have them chatting with me all the time. Also, if I make any noises, I feel like they are thinking, "what did she just drop/break", so I rarely do one with them home.

I can get in and out so much faster if they are gone. I have been doing some of them for around 10 years. I would probably prefer to do houses that are vacant between tenants, just haven't ever ran across any of those jobs. Maybe I should look into that. I always charge by the job because you will get much faster once you get used to the house. You will get referrals from them and your business will grow faster than you think. I make around 25-30 an hour on average, of course there again, I am charging by the job, not the hour. It is difficult to raise your prices so get a fair price to begin with. Good Luck! (03/09/2008)

By Janell

Starting a Cleaning Business

My housekeeper comes to my home every other Wednesday. I pay her $10.00 an hour. She also drives 45 miles to my home and 45 miles back to her home. I need to give her a raise with gas prices the way they are.

Anyway, I heard that cleaning houses and apartments after someone leaves makes you more money. You might even want to check into cleaning houses that have been through a fire or someone died or was murdered. They really pay good on that. Sorry so gruesome. (03/13/2008)

By maggie3956

Starting a Cleaning Business

I have been cleaning other people's houses and businesses for 30 years. It has been a very challenging job.
I started out with just a couple of houses, then word got around. Then I picked up a few more. You have to be honest, prompt, and do a very good job. Put an ad in your local paper or a small bill board at your local store. Word will get around and before you know it, you'll have yourself a little business. The starting rate around here (N.C.) is $50.00 on up. Good Luck! (05/30/2008)

By barrsbits

How much do you house cleaners charge and hour for dusting, changing linens, making a bed, mopping, bathroom cleaning, dishes and vacuuming, and other light housekeeping duties?