Starting and Keeping a Worm Bin

We like to go fishing, but worms have become very expensive. We have built our own worm bed outside, and it saved us from running to the store. We can dig our worms any time we want.

We took wood and made a bottomless box that sets on the ground. The box is about 10 to 12 inches tall, and as long and wide as you want it to be. We threw in some sticks, leaves, and soil.

We used soil from another area of the yard that already had worms in it, or you can buy worms to start. Then I added coffee grounds, including the filter, tea bags, and all of the green waste from my kitchen. Add a layer of soil over the layer of kitchen waste, and continue this, turning the pile as needed.

At first we saw regular earth worms, before long we were digging up big night crawlers. Also keep it moist, but not wet. We covered it with a piece of old wood to hold in the moisture. Now go fish!

By Rae 1956 from Fulton, MO

I am in NJ and I have a very shady section of yard where I decided to plant hostas, because I had no idea what else to put there! They really took off and last year I decided to transplant some. Now, I don't know if this has something to do with the hostas but I started digging and there were worms galore! I have never seen anything like it! you can literally scoop up a containerful in one shovel! I ended up putting my herbs in this area and the soil just looks like complete worm castings! I am interested to see what happens this year when my hostas come up again. This is kind of a little experiment I have going on!

March 16, 2010 Flag

I read Ellen Brown's answer regarding finding redworms in the "wild" in colder climates like Idaho. It is interesting to learn that redworms "dive" and hibernate during the cold.

I am wondering if would they also hibernate in a worm bin if it is kept outside their ideal temperature of 55-72? I have a worm bin that is kept in our garage, and central Washington winters can be harsh, so our garage is probably at around 45 degrees I would guess?

My worms are still alive. I have been feeding them all winter, but it seems like they are taking a lot longer to eat. Do you think they're in semi-hibernation from the cold?

By Marci from Yakima, WA

February 8, 2010 Flag

You can easily turn kitchen wastes into a rich compost by using composting worms. Proper home composting of organic kitchen wastes can reduce the volumes at the landfill or incinerator. Volunteer home composting is a cost effective method of dealing with compostable kitchen wastes.

Composting is an efficient way to divert organic wastes from our County's solid waste stream.

Read the rest here:

Worm Bin
Starting Worm Bin for Fish Bait
Travel and Recreation Recreation FishingMarch 16, 2010
Worm Bin
Making a Worm Bin
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Worm Tea
Making and Storing Worm Tea
wood trash bin
Homemade Trash Bin Crafts