Five $5 Gifts

I find it challenging to give all the gifts I'd like to without exploding my budget. For many friends and their children, I have a $5 budget. I feel like this can work when 1: the gift is thoughtful and original and 2: the gift is well wrapped and comes off looking more expensive. In order to stay within the $5 budget and to fulfill #2, you need to be well-stocked with wrapping elements that you have recycled, gathered, gotten at the thrift store or dollar store. Here are 5 ideas which can usually be done for $5 at Wal-Mart or other similar stores:

1. Select a fruity-flavored bath gel, purchase the same flavor tea, and pair with a sponge, lufa, or washcloth in matching color. Present in a recycled basket or lunch bag tied with a pretty coordinating ribbon. I've done this with both peach and apple.
  2. Purchase a high-quality magazine and pair it with a single-serve packet of bubble bath. Tie both together with a pretty ribbon. Or, get a book from the used book store and do the same. You can even pair the bubble bath with the theme; either roses or ocean, etc.
  3. Vary this idea for the guys by getting a fishing magazine and putting it with a lure or a hunting magazine and a pack of hand warmers. Tie these together with twine or rope.
  4. For the kid, don't forget one of the very basics: a fresh box of 64 crayons and a color book. I've seen some pretty fancy coloring books lately, so this might even work for an adult who is young at heart! Or--make some recycled crayons to go with! And a bonus kids' gift: buy a magnetic alphabet set or alphabet sponges, pair with an alphabet template, and a can of alphabet soup and or pack of alphabet macaroni. This should provide plenty of ways to work on the ABCs.
  5. Ad

6. Purchase the odd but prety porcelain cup (with or without saucer) at the thrift store. Based on what is left out of the $5, purchase tea or tea and a box of tea biscuits to go with it. For the holidays, get a holiday mug or vintage holiday cup and put with hot chocolate. This gift is pretty in a recycled basket.

Hope these give you some good $5 ideas and help you from getting discouraged when it comes to fulfilling your generosity and keeping your budget! Happy Holidays

Source: These are mainly my ideas, but I read about gift giving all the time.

By Amy from Cedar Hill, TX

For the kids a gift of your time is valuable to them & their parents. You can give a home-made coupon for a special activity with you. Take the kids either together or separately on a special picnic (low cost way to feed everyone) when the weather is nicer. Plan to take a nature walk or play games. Take them to a playground or out to a field to practice sports, for girls do fingernail painting & "makeup", bake cookies one afternoon, do crafts, whatever they like. Depending on the ages & interests you could play board games on a blanket or at your house after baking cookies. Or take them sledding in the winter complete w/ hot cocoa in a thermos & even build a snow-person family. This idea gives their parents (your friends or family members) a break too. A gift for kids that parents can enjoy too. Kids love when someone pays special attention to just them & shares in their interests or fun for a while.

your ideas are great !

There are loads of $1 crafties available so that $5 worth is really a LOT of items that could go a long way when it comes to "scrapping"

I get a newsletter & today I discovered that there are videos in it that inspire me!

It shows in one of them that hardware stores are a wonderful outlet for crafts : switchplates become photo frames & ball chain become a fun page divider or other fun embelishment & house numbers or wood cut out letters get in on the act as elements in crafts or scrapbooking or alter a tableware drawer divider into a shadowbox for the wall !

here's the link ! ... 1?sssdmh=dm17.286962&esrc=sblsdr

Just wanted to say...a BIG "THANK YOU" for the $5.00 gift ideas. What wonderful suggestions for giving WITHOUT the strain of wondering where the money is going to come from. It helped ALOT!! Blessings to you & yours!

Hi, my son received a neat gift that was under $5! A friend who was in a major budget crunch got him a few packets of microwave pop corn and a pop corn bucket (I assume the bucket was purchased at the dollar store). They wrapped it up super cute! It looked like a family movie night in the making! I was thinking you could also use a basket or decorative bowl from the dollar store or a garage sale, depending on who you were giving the gift too.

Hand Holding Small Christmas Gift
Frugal Christmas Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalDecember 10, 2007
five food cans
Five Can Casserole Recipes
potatoes and cheese
Recipes with Five or Less Ingredients
Freebies wrapped as gifts.
Collecting Freebies for Gifts
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts