Avoid Aluminum Cookware With Acidic Foods

I was reminded by the tip from the person who poured rice and weevils into her soup and watched with horror. If you are making a dish with acidic ingredients (mine was a sweet and sour fruit and nut salad), DO NOT use an aluminum pan. The whole dish will turn gray because of a chemical reaction.

I was using the aluminum pot because I was cooking and then cooling. When I poured in the sauce, the whole content turned gray. . . and it was a birthday gift. I cried (and didn't know what I had done wrong, that's why I cried (paranoia can strike at the weirdest of times).

Don't do as I did, beware of aluminum cookware. A sweet and sour fruit and nut salad is really good, though. I wish I still had the recipe.

By Tennesue from Bristol, TN

Beware of teflon coating, too! The only safe cooking is to use cast iron skillets, pots or pans!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsOctober 7, 2009
Row of holiday trailers in a park.
Cleaning Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Tomato based stew in cast iron.
Cooking Acidic Foods in Cast Iron Pans