Chips & Dip, Dessert Style

Kori Puckett

Applebees and Chilis have been my two favorite restaurants ever since I was a kid. I can't remember if it was Applebees or Chili's that had the vanilla ice cream scroop with nuts, fudge and a cherry on top sitting in the middle of cinnamon chips in the shape of tortilla wedges. That was one of my favorite desserts. No matter how full I was, I always ordered that dessert.

Thinking about this made me get a bit nostalgic and I wondered if there was a way I could re-create that recipe. I searched on the Internet, and sure enough I found what I was looking for. So here's what I call Dessert Style Chips & Dip. :-)

Cinnamon Chips w/Ice Cream

• 2 cups sugar/cinnamon mix
  • butter flavored cooking spray
  • 10 (10 inch) tortillas (flour or corn)

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Coat each side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of sugar/cinnamon and spray again with cooking spray.

Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes (ovens may vary). Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges, and allow to cool for approxiamately 15 minutes. Serve with any flavor ice cream you want.

Or alternatively, you can serve it with fruit and spice mixture called Fruit Salsa/Dip. In a large bowl, mix:

• 2 kiwis (peeled and dried),
  • 2 apples (peeled, cored, and dried),
  • 1 (8 ounce) package of raspberries,
  • 1 pound of strawberries,
  • 2 tablespoons of white sugar,
  • 1 tablespoon of brown sugar,
  • 3 tablespoons of fruit preserves (any flavor)

and cover and chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Here's a great tip I got from one of my YJD subscribers: if you don't want to use sugar, or you want to cut down on the calories, you can substitute Splenda (or your other favorite sugar substitute) instead. This can work for can apply to other dessert recipes containing sugar as well.

About The Author: Get Your Just Desserts twice monthly at: http://www.koripuckett.com/just-desserts Tried and true dessert recipes from an average Jane who just loves experimenting with baking.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsSeptember 12, 2004
Italian Dip
Italian Dip Recipes
bowl of pita chips
Homemade Pita Chips Recipes
Paint Chips
Crafts Using Paint Chips
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 27, 2016 at 8:37:32 PM on 10.0.0.239 in 944 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.