Gardening With Children

I have a 4 year old granddaughter. We did a garden together that did OK, but I am looking for other planting projects to do with her. I have 6 big pots that we can put stuff in.

Clarissa from East Chicago, IN

You just have to grow giant sunflowers!

Kids love them as they recognise them easily, and you can have a competition to see whos grows the tallest!

Easy to Grow Good to Use

Herbs - just about any kind

Miniature Ornamental Sunflowers

Johnny Jump Ups ( mini viola) > lovely in pots

Marigolds from seed

Mint - many varieties & great in pots

Ornamental Cabbage - grow well in pots, and look great through into the winter

For a bit of fun. Have your Child grow a carrot forest.

Cut the top end off the carrots. Place a paper towel on a saucer or shallow dish. Add water, add carrot tops. Place in a sunny window. Keep wet watering daily. In about 7 to 10 days they will have a carrot forest! Also, you can grow alfalfa sprouts the same way. My kids loved it. Great for winter gardening and totally fun for kids. Hedera

I plant tomatoes in pots and enjoy them. They flower then have little green tomatoes for a long time before they turn red and are ready to eat. For a child tomatoes may require too much time to reap the reward which can be around July 4th or later depending on the variety. We use a tomato cage to support the heavy branches. I love the taste of home-grown tomatoes so much. I grow one plant of grape tomatoes and one of larger tomatoes for slicing. The funny thing is DH doesn't like fresh tomatoes, so I give the overabundance to neighbors.

Last year growing tomatoes upside down was very popular. I think this site had instructions to make those in a DIY project. If you have a place to hang them, you might search for those.

Have fun and good luck with whatever you plant.

A mom planting flowers with her child.
Gardening With Children
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 19, 2009
Green Gardening Tips
Green Gardening Tips
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
🎉
🎄