Removing Musty Odor from a Photo Album - Categories:

OdorsCleaning

Removing Musty Odor from a Photo Album

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove the musty, moldy smell from my parents' wedding album that was stored in the basement? My niece wants to use some of these old photos at her wedding. Thanks!

By soccermom918 from Cumberland, RI

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have had good luck removing musty odors from old books by using deoderizing cat litter. It is made from wood shavings that have a pleasant smell. I cover the books and seal in a plastic container or plastic bag. Let sit for several weeks.

I heard a dryer sheet works the same. Never tried it, but read it at work

You could scan the pictures and print on nice new photo paper.

Liberaly sprinkle baby powder between each page. Place a dryer sheet in a brown paper bag

Place the album/book inside the bag, close the bag and tape it shut. And store for 1 week in a dry place like on top

of the fridge.

After a week, remove the album, using a hairdryer, on cool setting, "dust" off the baby powder. This should remove the musty odor, if the odor is extremely strong, you may need to repeat the procedure. Good Luck.

You may have better luck by trying the first idea with baking soda instead of baby powder or a combination of the two. Baking soda is used to remove odors in carpet, refrigerators, and clothes.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 2, 2009
Quilted Photo Album Cover
Making a Quilted Photo Album Cover
Decorated Photo Album
Decorating A Photo Album
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 6:52:28 PM on 10.0.2.198 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.