Applesauce Vs. Apple Butter

By cettina 78 392

What is the difference between applesauce and apple butter? They seem to be almost exactly the same, so why the different name?

Glass stemed dish of apple sauce.
Cettina from Malta, Europe

Showing: Answers Sort

By susan winship 4 405 Flag

Applesauce is apples (peeled or unpeeled and then strained) cooked down until tender with a little water and sometimes cinnamon and sugar.

Apple butter is applesauce cooked down with apple juice and more spices until it's a spreadable loose paste. It's usually cooked down in the oven rather than the top of the stove (applesauce).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

Butters are not much different than making a jam of the fruit. It all depends on how much of the fiber you want to include. You can use a thickening agent such as a pectin product or spend some time cooking it down to very think substance. I don't add spices to mine, I just cook on low for a couple of hours, until desired consistency (water/juice removed). A fruit butter would be about the same as making homemade tomato paste (smoother than purchased).

Applesauce can be sweetened, cinnamon added or left plain "natural". Many kinds of apples can be used, depending on what your favorite apple is. Peeled or as I did it, cored and pureed in the blender, then cooked down slowly. I found I could add pureed pears, skins and all to help with the flavor. Then process it as directed by Ball or Kerr. Homemade applesauce gets to be brown in color, as well, if fruit fresh of some sorts was not used.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Applesauce is simply apples that have been cooked and mashed, sometimes with sugar added. Apple Butter is ecentially made from applesause. My recipe, and I am not giving measurements here, just a method. An amount of applesauce with sugar, vinegar and spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) cooked down to a thicker mass than applesauce. So, the basic difference, I suppose, is the seasoning and the thickness of the finished product. Hope this helps you to understand the difference.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather Krucker 10 282 Flag

They add spices to the apple butter. Each are wonderful, but definitley taste different.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Harriet Schipper 11 135 Flag

In addition, applesauce is usually served as a dessert or side dish. It also is sometimes added to cakes or cookies in place of oil to reduce calories/cholesterol. Apple butter is usually used as a spread on toast, bread, etc. because it is much thicker and spicy.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judi 18 938 Flag

My applesauce is just like others have said: apples cooked down. I add no sugar or spices.

Apple butter is (in my house) cooked apples with spices and sugar cooked in a pan on the stove top.

Applesauce is usually eaten with other foods (pork for one) or just alone. Apple butter is something we eat on pancakes or toast.

Applesauce is a yellow color, apple butter is brown from the spices....at least this is the way it's done in my house.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cettina 78 392 Flag

Thank you all so much. yes, I have understood the difference now. and why they have different names. It makes sense now.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Shytbyrd51 1 Flag

Apple sauce made with brown sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg will taste more like apple butter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceFebruary 25, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:34:02 PM on 10.0.1.31 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings