ReusingGreen Living

Recycling Ideas for Discarded Hotel Linens

How can we reuse discarded linen in the hotel industry?

By Carlos from Hyderabad

Donate them to violence against women and children charities.

Animal shelters, veterinarians, etc... will usually take donations for their animals!

Anonymous

You can donate them to homeless shelters or use them to make curtains, recover pillows, make tote bags, use one as a picnic blanket, paint drop cloth or even cut to use as cleaning rags. The sky is the limit. Speaking of Hyderabad, I needed some computer tech support help a couple of weeks ago and the technician lives in Hyderabad. We got onto the subject of food while waiting for a program to download and I've since accumulated a bunch of delicious sounding Hyderabadi specialty recipes to try that the technician suggested. :-)

Some day centers have weaving looms & make rugs & pillows to sell. You might have some places in an area near you to donate some of your linens.

I have a hotel and have a ton of left over towels, table cloths, and sheets. Any one have any ideas on how to recycle any of this? I make a lot of rags and cleaning cloths, but some of it should be made into something, but I don't know what.
Help me recycle, please.

By Denise from France

Answers:

Donate the items to a thrift store and get a receipt for tax purposes. I used to work in a thrift store and hotels/motels would donate mattress sets, etc. to the store. (02/27/2010)

By redhatterb

I make tote bags out of restaurant linens (napkins, tablecloths). They're great fabric. I found a guy selling used restaurant linens out on the sidewalk in front of his house one weekend. He works for a commercial laundry and got the linens very cheaply from a restaurant that was changing its decor, and turned around and sold the linens for what I thought were extremely cheap prices. I got napkins 10/$1, enormous tablecloths for $1 each, etc. I give the tote bags as gifts. Who doesn't want a nice handmade reusable tote bag? (02/27/2010)

By CheapInPortland

I too am with the idea of donating to an animal shelter. Another option is to donate them to various veterinarians.

My vet uses them in the kennels the same as an animal shelter, though after surgery and such. It's a shame for the owners to have a blood stained (along with other body fluids) towel or blanket returned even though they do launder them. (02/28/2010)

By COflower

Our vet, as well as the local shelter are constantly requesting towels, or blankets. They will even use blankets that have holes in them, not useful for your bed. They cut them into different sizes for the animals. They use the towels as bedding, and for baths and such. They also as for newspapers to use in the crates and cages.

Our local homeless shelter, the Salvation Army, and any place that houses people overnight, are constantly in need of towels, sheets, blankets.
They have washers and dryers to clean the linens between uses. But with the cold weather that has hit most of our country lately, there is just not enough blankets and such to meet the need of the homeless.
They would be thrilled to receive these items. And would also give you a receipt for your donation.

(03/02/2010)

By Barb in Tennessee

Oh my, there are so many uses for discarded hotel linens. It's like gold to me. The tablecloths you can use them to cover furniture if you have pets. I have 3 cats and keep washable cloths on my furniture. When I get company I just take them off. Also you can donate them to a homeless shelter, animal shelter, or put on FreeCycle. I do this quite often when I have something I want to give away. There are always people like me that would love to have the hotel linens. (03/02/2010)

By Virginia Pride

I just noticed that you said you wanted to make something with the hotel linens. I misunderstood and thought you were looking to give them away.

The sheets you can make into window curtains, use for middle section of two blankets sewn together for a heavier cover. The washcloths can be hung by one corner, very close together on a rod to make a valance for windows. The towels you can make the cafe curtain to go with your valance. I could go on and on because there are so many ways to recycle them, or you could send them to me and I'll do it. LOL (03/02/2010)

By Virginia Pride