Keep Notebook for Holiday Gift Buying

The holidays are the busiest time of the year for most people, myself included, but to make things a bit better I try to buy items throughout the year. However, then I ran into the problem of not knowing what went to who and buying more than I had expected because of forgotten items, so now I stay ahead of the game!

First, I have a notebook for the holidays and throughout the year, I write down ideas for people. Maybe someone mentions how they would love to have this or that, or someone mentions something they collect, etc. This way I am prepared and if I cannot find one thing I have backup ideas. Then as I buy items, I write the item down in that notebook, who it is for, and staple the receipts in there. This way everything is in one spot.

Having everything in that one spot also helps, because maybe you need a gift box, or gift bag. You won't be at the store trying to remember how many you needed. This also lets me keep track of everything that I spend during the holidays.

By brenneman826 from Pennsylvania

I do something similar, myself. I have a word file on my computer that I update throughout the year, changing the colors of the text if it's an idea, something bought, or at the end something that is wrapped and ready to go! It really does help me stay organized. :)

This is an excellent idea! I'd be more likely to use the Word document, but if I'd followed this method years ago, it might've saved a bit of embarrassment when I bought one niece two gifts while everyone else only got one.

I keep a little notebook in my purse for immediate purchase write down BUT in my computer I have a file for all birthday gifts and Christmas gifts so that I keep documents by the year. AND what was given, how much I paid, was it on sale. And you can also keep the sizes of the kids in this for year to year update. I take from my notebook and post into the file, then tear out those sheets. In a hidden spot in the purse is the PRINTED list as well for quick reference. Can't be too sneaky when gift buying if you want surprises.

I also have one place in a spare bedroom where I keep the gifts, often box them with tags on till I wrap them, I also pick up things for showers and weddings to store in rubbermaid bins. I can't fathom what I would have done without them. Often my single sons say they have a wedding to go to, no idea....and I always have tupperware to bathtowels. A wedding needing something of greater cost, I would know about much earlier.

I make a lot (sew) of gifts, know which authors of books certain family members read, etc so when I find them (new or gently used) I set them aside as well.

Excellent way to keep from giving one person tons of gifts and the other person not as many. I am going to do this too!

Thanks!

December 18, 2010 Flag

I keep a little notebook in my purse to jot down gift ideas for others especially if I am at their house and notice something they need or they mention something they want.

By June S.

Organizing Memory TricksDecember 18, 2010
A man giving a gift to his wife.
Gift Ideas for Your Wife
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Homemade Notebook
Homemade Notebook Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
🎉
🎄