Liquid Shower Soap Recipe

I would like to make my own liquid shower soap. I have made liquid laundry soap and shredded bar soap. Is there something I would need to add to shredded bar soap to make bath and shower soap? Does anyone have instructions for this project?

Thanks for any help provided.

Diane from California, MO

I have been told that the talcum in bar soap is what causes the soap scum build-up in showers amd tubs.

They suggested Liquid soap (not made from soap bars). I have not tried this yet as I have just recently received the tip, but intend to because I sure hate that scum buildup and having to clean it.

a good liquid soap can be made as follows:

Grate 6 oz of bar soap, put in blender, add 1 c. boiling water, whip. Add 1/2 c. room temp water and whip, add 1 Tablespoon of honey and 1 tsp of glycerin. whip. Allow to cool uncovered for 20 minutes. Add enough cool water to make 5 1/2 cups. whip. Pour into containers, let cool 2 hours, put lids on containers. Soap will thicken in a couple of days. You can also add fragrance oils if you like. Works great as hand soap or shower soap...not recommended for shampoo. May separate and need to be shaken before use.

I recommend using a pure, natural soap for this, but any bar soap will work.

In regards to the dial soap bars. You can rebatch them and add a moisturizer but I'm not sure the investment is worth it.

1. You will need a stainless steel pot OR a crock pot,

2. A mold to pour the soap in, such as a silicone cupcake pan.

3. The moisturizer, such as shea butter or cocoa butter. I get mine online for about $8 a pound. Not sure if a local health food store will carry this or not.

Cocoa butter is another choice. Make sure it is 100% cocoa butter and not some concoction there of.

Grate the bars of soap with a grater or food processor.

I find cleaning a food processor is rarely worth using the food processor in making anything - but I am lazy. Set this aside for now.

In the stainless steel (never aluminum) pot, put enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil, or a simmer. Add water as needed.

Add the grated soap, slowly so as to sprinkle water on each layer. If you have spray bottle, great but if on, just sprinkle with dripping wet hands. Continue until bars are used up or pot is full, which ever is comes first. :)

Cook on lowest heat with lid on, until it all turns into a mush. This will take hours. While this is happening, periodically poke the concoction with a wooden or stainless steel spoon to help move the mixture around for move even heating.

Once you feel the soap is as melted as it can get. Gently stir so as to not cause air pockets in the soap (I don't see what the problem is but ppl say not to have air pockets). Stir in about 1 Tbs of the chosen moisturizer, such as shea butter, per soap bar, into the mix. Stir until you feel the shea butter is well dispersed and then glob the thick mixture into your silicone molds.

Clean up is fairly easy as everything is encrusted in soap. :D

Allow to harden over night - probably doesn't take that long but it's an easy way to time it. Because you used the silicone molds, you can easily push from the bottom of the mold and get the solid soap bars out.

I make handmade soap and sell it online but I don't want to offend anyone by placing my URL here. My name will give you a hint if you want to search for my store.

(Submitted via email)

Liquid soap avoids soap scum.

Brooks L.

February 8, 2007 Flag

I am looking for a liquid soap recipe for use in the shower. I have a couple dozen bars of Dial soap that we cannot use because it dries out our skin, and I would like to convert those bars into a moisturizing, good-smelling liquid shower soap. Please help!

Thanks!
Proud Mom of 4 girls from Reading, OH

Answers:

Liquid Shower Soap Recipe

I'm not sure if it would work or not (I haven't tried it) but you could probably come up with a solution involving lanolin. It is a skin softener so if you added it to your soap, it should create a moisturizing wash. (06/01/2006)

By scruggle

Liquid Shower Soap Recipe

i use shampoo as a body bath .it is inexpensive, comes in assorted scents and leaves my skin softer than any bar of soap i've ever bought (06/01/2006)

By imaqt1962

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes SoapFebruary 8, 2007
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
🎉
🎄