Can Older Dogs Get Parvo?

By sandy helms 5 1

Is there an age limit for when a dog can get parvo?

By Sandy H. from Bay Point, CA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Renee Schuhmacher 4 Flag

Once a dog is approximately one year old or a little older they won't get parvo. It is a virus that only unvaccinated puppies get. It can live in the soil and on toys, dishes, etc... for an undetermined amounted of time however. Bleach is a good idea for dishes and pet carriers if you still have puppies around or will have in the future.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cathy 1 35 Flag

I have to disagree with renee5774 because older dogs can get parvo. My Lab/Husky mix came down with parvo when she was 6 years old. We had just moved to TN from MN when she came down with it. The vet in TN told me that parvo was common in TN because it doesn't get cold enough to freeze it out in the winter. So my dog spent 6 days in intensive care on IV fluids but she did make it threw it alive. The one and only year that she did not have her shot and this happened. So my suggestion is to vaccinate your dog at all ages!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 14, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Running in Yard
Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 5:11:11 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings