Cleaning and Protecting Auto Paint from Love Bugs

I live in the New Orleans area. Across the south in the spring and fall, we are plagued with little flying insects called LOVE BUGS. They are all over your car and are the biggest mess. They have a high acidity level so if not removed promptly, they can actually take off the paint. This isn't just a quick rinse-off with a hose answer, as anyone living in these areas know.

My question is, has anyone found a good way to clean our cars to make sure the finish is protected?

Thanks,

Sandy from Kenner, LA

Houston also has lovebugs! Use WD40 when splatter is still fairly fresh!

Once you get the car clean, you need to give it a good, thorough, heavy duty waxing.

I use Pam on my SUV after I wash it. works great.

My husband works in road construction. He sprays diesel fuel on dried asphalt to remove it from the bed of his truck. I don't know if this would affect your paint or not. Maybe you could set a piece of painted metal outside and test it. Maybe a junkyard would let you test it on one of their cars. If it can remove asphalt, it should remove those bugs. Good luck!

I spent some time in your area following the horrific Hurricane Katrina while volunteering and can remember those awful bugs! Find sponges that are used for cleaning pots & pans but that won't scratch the surface. They will help to scrub off the bugs along with some soap and water. Once you've dried the surface, spray the painted areas with baby oil. This will keep the bugs from sticking and it won't hurt the paint finish at all. Sounds strange, but I've done it and it really does work! We used it on cars at dirt track races to keep the mud from sticking to the cars. Hope this helps!

Good tips, Thanks a lot!

Sandy

I saw Frank Davis on the news talking about love bugs, and he recommended using a dryer sheet to wipe them off. He also said paint color matters. Apparently the lighter color you car is, the more likely you are to attract them.

If you spray the spots with "WD-40" and let them sit and ahen mix "Windex" and dish washing liquid then scrub off with A heavy duty brush, sponge, ect. After that wash them off.