White Film on Glasses

Everytime I run the dishwasher to clean my dishes, they always come out filmy with etching? We've tried several different dishwater tabs, but nothing helps. Why is this and are my glasses ruined now?

By Trish from Northfield, MN

I have found that for my machine the cascade gel pacs with dawn work the best and I get no residue. You may also want to try a product like jet dry that prevents residue buildup. Also may want to get your machine checked, maybe something is wrong.

To remove the film, put around 1/3 cup clorox in with the wash or if you can catch the last rinse put it in then, you might have to do this a couple of times but it worked for me. Then the best combination for keeping the film from building up again in our water and our dishwasher is Lemi Shine for removing the white film and Palmolive dish deterrent jell. Every water is different and it takes a bit of experimenting to find the right combination. We have very hard water. Our appliance dealer told us to never use the gel packs, as the packaging will eventually build up in your dishwasher pump. Their repairman finds this problem a lot since the gel packs have become popular.

White vinegar works well. Run it through an empty washer, full wash and rinse cycle. It works!

I tried the less detergent route, and the vinegar, and clorox, and every detergent brand I could find, even trying the gel packs, liquids, powders, everything and my glasses still came out with that white film. Even Jet Dry didn't help. I even tried CLR to get the film off. Nothing! One repairman even told me to lower the water temperature. That didn't help either.

Finally somebody told me that no matter what I do my glasses will always come out of the dishwasher with that film. (Don't understand it, Mom's never did!). But I've started washing all my glasses by hand and they are staying crystal clear. It's more time consuming, but at least my glasses are staying nice and I don't have to replace them every time I turn around!

By the way, I"m not talking about crystal glasses, I'm talking about regular everyday glasses.

I just read my manual for my new dishwasher and the troubleshooting section said you may want to try using a rinse aid and less detergent when this happens. I only half fill the receptacles and it seems to help.

(Hi! from Gina also in Northfield, MN)

Try Lemi-Shine. It's in the dishwasher section. It's a dry powder type stuff. It is especially good if u have hard water. I had the same problem and my dishwasher was brand new. Was told about about his and it works great!

Clean your dishwasher with vinegar or CLR which you can purchase at the hardware/grocery store. Hard water. Make sure you wash when you know your household use of soft water is good. We forget aftet alot of loads of clothes, showers.

Search for CitriClean of Florida. They make a powder that you add to each wash cycle. You need to use only 1 tablespoon of the cheapest store brand detergent plus 1-2 tablespoons of CitriClean. So your cost per wash does not increase! All natural product that contains no phosphate.