SubstitutionsFood Tips

Substitutes for Shortening in Recipes

So many recipes indicate "shortening" in the ingredients. Unless the recipe specifically calls for butter or margarine, does this literally mean Crisco? Can I use butter instead? Any feedback from anyone will be very welcome on this!

By Bonnie

I use margarine if I don't have any crisco. Sticks of margarine are not that different from sticks or a can of crisco.

I use margarine, if I don't have any crisco. Sticks of margarine are not that different from sticks or a can of crisco.

Anonymous

It's going to depend on what you're cooking/baking. Here are some links to read to help you understand the basic differences and how they affect a recipe:

http://www.cook  the-week-12-7-09

http://www.bhg.  aste-and-health/

http://www.diff  d-vs-shortening/

Whenever making a box cake or cookies from a cakemix. Replace the oil with applesauce (even measurements) you will never use oil again. I imagine it's the same as baking from scratch. I've never from scratch. Use a good brand of applesauce, a cheaper brand will be too watery and no sugar added is fine.

You are absolutely right that sticks of margarine are not that different from sticks or a can of crisco. They are both the biggest causes of plugged arteries and heart attacks.

I know because I was one that used both of these kinds of garbage and paid for it with a heart attack.That was 14 years ago - after that I use nothing but butter in substitute of margarine or shortening in any recipe. I have not had any problems with any recipe by using butter and much better for your health. Your body cannot process ANY man made fat and just stores it or converts it to cholesterol to plug up your arteries.

Even "heart healthy" becel is man made and should be stayed away from.Get and read the book "Fats that heal and Fats that kill" by Udo Erasmus. It is excellent and will save your life! Luciveta

Someone mentioned using butter instead of margarine or Crisco. Butter is still fat. With that being said I don't think it's all that good for you either.